♥♥Mari♥♥ 's Reviews > Waterfall

Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Mar 14, 2014

bookshelves: christian-fiction, fantasy-ya, historical-fiction, romance, books-reviewed
Read from April 09 to 17, 2011

Reviewer's Note: This book was a giveaway prize at "Legacy of A Writer", and I won it!! The author sent me an autographed copy! This is the first time I review a book I've won in a giveaway, and it won't affect the honesty of my review; if I feel a book is not quite up to par, I will state this, regardless of how I obtained said book.

Although time travel is considered a staple of the science-fiction genre, I would really classify this novel as more of a science fantasy, since it doesn't go into technicalities. It's also a rip-roaring adventure and tender romance, all rolled into one!

I entered the giveaway because the beautiful cover immediately attracted me. Then I read the plot synopsis, and I decided I had to try to win this book!

Two young sisters, Gabriela and Evangelia Betarrini, whose parents are renowned Etruscan scholars, are in Tuscany, Italy, one summer. Their mother has been trying to obtain permission to begin an archaelogical dig. Sadly, the girls' father passed away several years before this trip, so he is not with them.

The sisters don't quite share their parents' passion for ancient artifacts; in fact, they're bored, wondering how they will ever meet boys if they're unable to go into the nearby city of Siena. In their restlessness, they wander around the site while their mother starts arguing with an Italian official who has suddenly appeared on the scene,demanding to see proper documents. So Gabi and Lia innocently venture into an ancient tomb, coming upon a set of strange handprints carved into one of its walls....

Of course, they place their hands over these handprints, which are curiously hot to the touch. Everything suddenly seems to shift weirdly, and Lia disappears....while Gabi emerges alone from the tomb, to find herself in the very midst of a battle between two rival Italian families -- the Forellis and the Paratores.

Gabi is taken to the Forelli castle by Marcello Forelli, heir to the title of lord of the castle and its surrounding lands. Unfortunately, he's already betrothed to Lady Romana Rossi, and their marriage will be vital to an alliance between the Forelli family and the city of Siena. However, things do start to change after a while...by the time the novel is drawing to an end, Marcello and Gabi are hopelessly in love, and Gabi is extremely reluctant to return to the 21st century.

During the course of the story, Gabi demonstrates her great sword-wielding skills, even saving Lady Rossi's life at one point. She also becomes instrumental in saving her sister from the cruel Lord Paratore, in exchange for an apparent betrayal of the Forellis. Lia is rescued, and the tables are turned on the evil Paratores. Not to be outdone, Lia uses her own skill in archery to help the Forellis defeat their foes. The Betarrini sisters are then hailed as heroes, and become known as "the she-wolves of Normandy", since that was the land Gabi had already claimed they were from.

This novel is a total delight! Gabriela is such an engaging character! Beautiful, strong, resourceful, determined, and yet, sensitive and fiercely devoted to her sister, she is the perfect partner for the very handsome, and equally appealing Marcello, whose tender love and sweet admiration for her captures the reader's heart, as well.

Luca, Marcello's cousin, is also very appealing, although he's not the intense type. He's fun-loving and charming, a perfect foil for Lia, who is the artistic sister. Their romance will, I hope, be further developed in the next installment of this, The River of Time Series. I will be watching for the release of the next book, titled Cascade!

One of the things I greatly enjoyed about this book was the portrayal of a courageous, strong, yet very feminine young woman. It's wonderful to see such a terrific example of a truly memorable female character in young adult fiction!

The plotting is another element I really enjoyed, as well. There's heart-pounding adventure and suspense, as well as tender, romantic moments. As if this weren't enough to enchant me, there's quite a bit of humor, too. The clash of cultures and time periods provided some very funny situations and dialogues!

Last but most definitely not least is Gabi's at times hesitant reliance on God to pull her through. She poses questions to Him throughout the novel, wondering if this unexpected foray into the past is somehow part of His plan for her and Lia. I found this quite touching.

In short, this was a fantastic read! I'm sure it won't be long before I'm tempted to pick up this book and read it again, because I absolutely love it!! In fact, I think I might just do that, so as to make the waiting for the second book more bearable!

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog, A NIGHT’S DREAM OF BOOKS.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waterfall.

Quotes ♥♥Mari♥♥ Liked

Lisa Tawn Bergren
“Fantasizing about an Italian hottie was far better than my normal dreams.”

Lisa Tawn Bergren
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but the decision that something is more important than fear.”

Lisa Tawn Bergren
“Sometimes the heart tells us to venture where the mind fears to tread.”

Lisa Tawn Bergren
“I nodded, pretending to be a hundred times more courageous than I felt.
But that was the thing about courage. Sometimes you had to fake it to feel it.”

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Bergren Thanks for reading my book, Mari, and for your sweet message!

♥♥Mari♥♥ You're more than welcome! My review will be up very soon! : )

Amber Great review Mari!! Cascade couldn't get here soon enough!!

Katie Wonderful review, Mari! I see that you enjoyed it as much as I did! :-) I know what you mean about rereading it - if I hadn't let a friend borrow my copy, I think I'd be going to pick it up right now and reread it, after being reading your review and being reminded of all its wonderful points! :-)

♥♥Mari♥♥ Hi, Amber! Thank you so much for the compliment!! I really enjoyed writing the review, because I also greatly enjoyed reading this book! And YES, Cascade should get here a LOT sooner!!!

♥♥Mari♥♥ Hi, Katy! Thank you so much for complimenting my review! Yes, this wonderful book really lived up to its reputation -- it has so many rave reviews! Now I've added mine, too. Like I told Amber, I can't wait for Cascade to come out!!!

Katie Yes, I am with you there!! Cascade and Torrent look awesome and I am eager to find out what happens next!!! :-)