Ruth's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Mar 28, 11

What I thought of this book depended on where I was in it. When it started out I thought, "Oh no, another drink, drugs, and gritty sex book. Yawn."

Then when I realized it was going to hop about with multiple time frames and multiple POVs, I became more interested. Trouble was, though, that Egan often didn't give enough clues for me to realize who the hell was talking now. But still, I liked it for the most part.

Then the ending left me puzzled. What was all this noise about? What did I accomplish by reading this? What did Egan accomplish by writing it?

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Newengland (new)

Newengland I had a chance to get an ARC of this, but then when the buzz started, they ran out of copies. Glad I didn't miss much.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara I have avoided Egan since reading her first novel, The Invisible Circus, and nothing I've heard since has changed my mind.

Ruth I didn't realize until I had this book home, that Egan also wrote The Keep, which I wasn't crazy about.

message 4: by Dottie (new) - added it

Dottie As is many times the case with us -- I thoroughly enjoyed The Keep, Ruth but the descriptions of this one do not sound as appealing. Still, I may give Egan another whirl simply because I'm in a down loop in my reading generally speaking and something out of the norm might shake me loose and get me going again.

Kenneth P. I'm halfway through this Ruth and I think I'm with you. I've enjoyed much of it but just finished an incomprehensible chapter about washed-up publicist, a genocidal dictator and a has-been actress. While much of the book has been entertaining, this chapter made no sense to me and was very poorly written. I will plod on, convinced that things can only get better.