Michael's Reviews > New York

Mar 25, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: unfinished, kindle-edition
Read from March 25 to April 21, 2011

I gave it my best effort, but after 300 pages, I couldn't take it anymore. I've enjoyed some of Rutherfurd's earlier books, including Russka and London. With New York I don't know whether my tastes have changed or if I am becoming more impatient as I get older. Life is too short to read crappy books. To call this historical fiction is a misnomer—it's more like an historical comic book. I laughed when I read someone else's review of this book and they referenced Forrest Gump and the uncanny parade of famous personages popping up. At one point, when I first thought about giving up, there was an eye-rolling passage where George Washington appears at the gate of the main character's home as a group of firewood-seeking soldiers chop down a...(wait for it)...cherry tree! Come to think of it, why didn't I stop after that? In summary, the writing is pedestrian, the characters are uninspiring and the plot lines are absurd with far too many historical coincidences. I couldn't fathom slogging through another 500 pages. Although I can only imagine Daniel Webster, Horace Greeley, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt and John Lennon all make cameo appearances at one time or another. I will never know...and I'm okay with that. Onward and forward to the next book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New York.

03/25/2011 page 159

Michael Rutherfurd isn't the greatest writer by any stretch...and he's definitely milking the "follow-the-generations" format. But, what can I say? I'm a sucker for his books. He has a tendency to choreograph famous historical figures into his little vignettes and sometimes he's guilty of a history "fact dump," but overall, I find myself enjoying the ride through time.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Vogel My mom loves these and wants me to read some of his stuff so we can discuss. So many books, so little time!

Michael I've read Russka and London, both of which I enjoyed immensely. If you do happen to get one of these on your nightstand I would recommend Russka first.