Julia's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-friendly, sci-fi, dystopia, angst, adventure, romance, tween-friendly
Read from March 25 to April 19, 2011

I'd have a hard time putting my finger on why I preferred this one out of the Big Three YA Dystopias that came out this year (Matched, Delirium and Divergent), as I know plenty of others who disagreed with me. It doesn't have the believably swoony romance of Delirium or the crammed-with-action-ness of Divergent. Like other YA dystopias, it owes a lot to The Giver, Brave New World and 1984.

But what it does have is a gorgeous reconstruction of what it is like to completely lose faith in something you have always believed wholeheartedly and to have to decide whether being honest to your disillusionment and discovery is worth hurting others. What, so maybe I overidentified with that a little... :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Julia I really enjoyed this. The love triangle was decent, but I was much more interested in Cassia's progression towards dissent (what is the line between remaining complacent and rebelling in a flawed system, and how do you decide whether fighting the system is worth putting yourself and your loved ones in danger, etc).