Kyle's Reviews > Green: The Beginning and the End

Mar 25, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: christian, christian-fiction, fantasy
Read from March 25 to April 04, 2011

If you read the Circle Trilogy and want to read this book to complete the series, DON'T.
If you want to read the Circle Trilogy, SKIP THIS BOOK and just read Black, Red, and White.

I really loved the Circle Trilogy. Each book contained a beautiful picture about a truth about God and displayed it in an understandable and believable way. It had beautiful worlds and beautiful themes of redemption. I found myself caring for each of the characters. The world shifting technique for story telling worked and was consistent.

But Green, which was written years after the Circle Trilogy, has none of this.

The allegory was convoluted and lacked the same meaning and importance as the other books contained. In fact the allegory really wasn't the centerpiece of the story. The real centerpiece was trying to make it feel like the story was cyclical, which betrayed the whole purpose of everything. The book spent the majority focusing on the most hideous of characters that I hated. The characters seemed gimmicky at times to try and pull in a different audience. Also, the story felt like it was almost a different world and different principles with people who had super powers and vampires. Seriously?! Vampires!?!

But of everything that drew me into this series, I kept going mostly because of the beautiful imagery of love and redemption that we have through Jesus. This book really strayed far from truths and really shouldn't be viewed as a part of the original trilogy. The theology gets very sketchy, as well in the finale of the book, and in my opinion, doesn't really stand up at all.

The book did have some good storytelling elements and if I did not come expecting it to connect to the other Circle books, I might have a totally different opinion, but as it stands, I'm not very impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green.

03/25/2011 page 38