Caitlin's Reviews > Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch

May 21, 11

bookshelves: books-about-books, memoir
Read from May 07 to 21, 2011

Nina Sankovitch's memoir is one that will speak to any true reader's soul. Her musings on the healing powers of books were enjoyable to the very last page. And I wanted more when it was over!

Three years after the sudden death of her older sister, Nina realized she needed to slow down and restore her body and soul before she could truly start living again. Books had always offered Nina the opportunity to escape, enjoy, and heal. So she embarks on a quest: to read a book a day for one whole year. Interspersed with childhood memories, family stories, tributes to her sister, and reflections on daily life and reading, this memoir is one that any book lover will surely fall in love with.

Well-written and engaging, "Tolstoy and the Purple Chair" is organized into short chapters that each tackle a different theme or memory, which Nina connects to the books she has been reading. The memoir is tender without being too sappy, clever and witty without being condescending, and full of introspection and wisdom. Like Nina, I fully believe in the restorative power of a good book, and I am so glad this one came across my path. I highly recommend it to readers and book lovers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tolstoy and the Purple Chair.