Res's Reviews > Cousin Kate

Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer

Feb 22, 08

bookshelves: romance
Read in February, 2008

The one where penniless, orphaned Kate is taken in by an aunt she's never met, and begins to discover strange things happening in the manor.

This was two different books that didn't mesh well together. The romance conflicts with the suspense in a way that takes the power out of both of them. By the time Kate finds out she could be in real danger, she's already got an ally who's more powerful than any of the forces that threaten her. And in a romance context I accept women agreeing to marry men they've only known for a week, but in a suspense context -- in a book that keeps whispering, people are not what they appear; people who seem to be kind are dangerous -- it seemed like a crazy thing to do.

Well, OK, not really; in reality, you could identify the good guys and the bad guys within five minutes of meeting them, but that just means that the suspense-novel rules applied to the bad guys and the romance-novel rules applied to the good ones.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cousin Kate.

message 1: by Jest (new)

Jest I seem to remember that one containing some very offensive portrayals of mental illness - if it's the one I'm thinking of. One of Heyer's all time worst efforts.

message 2: by Res (new) - rated it 2 stars

Res Yes, that bothered me, too.

Angela You really pinned it down by describing it as "two different books that didn't mesh well together." I was loving the suspense, when suddenly the romance took over... and that was really cute, until Kate starts being indecisive and miserable about leaving her aunt and then there is suddenly a murder and then... oh, back to a happy, romantic ending!...?

message 4: by Res (new) - rated it 2 stars