Sesana's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: cover-love, depressing, dystopian, future, science-fiction, young-adult
Read from January 11 to 15, 2012

I am a little reluctant to give this four stars, since that's what I gave Catching Fire. Let's say that Catching Fire is more like 4.5, and this is hovering around 4.0.

There was no way there could be a truly satisfactory ending to this series. They just aren't that sort of books. If the author is honest, we're going to end up with a group of damaged people doing their best to get by. And that's precisely what we get here. It is a hard, hard road, though. There's a lot of fallout, with characters that I really liked not making it to the final pages. There's a lot of violence, of course. There's also a lot of psychological breakdown. Katniss is totally losing it, and it's very obvious, and it's also very understandable. There's also a lack of certainty that I appreciate. Oh, and the romance ended exactly as I always felt it should.

That said, Katniss veering on a complete breakdown through pretty much the entirety of the story made it very difficult to read sometimes. Many long stretches of her wandering aimlessly and hiding in odd spots. Too much of that? Maybe.

Honestly, I don't believe that Collins could have done much better with the setup she gave herself in the first two books. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as The Hunger Games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meg ♥ Same here. I liked it, but The Hunger Games was a bit better.