Sesana's Reviews > Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, lgbt, romance, young-adult
Read from November 28 to 30, 2011

As the title suggests, there are two Will Graysons here. One, written by John Green and narrating the odd numbered chapters, is the straight best friend of Tiny Cooper. I'll call him Grayson. The other, written by David Levithan and narrating even chapters, will date Tiny. I'll call him Will. Title aside, the book really is mostly about Tiny, or rather, what it's like to be in his orbit.

I'll let Grayson describe Tiny:
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
Personally, I appreciate the hell out of Tiny, but I can see where he could get wearing.

Grayson is like pretty much all of John Green's male leads, which is fine by me because I like them. Probably wouldn't want to read a lot of John Green in a row. Will, on the other hand, is crushingly depressing, especially in comparison to Grayson. At first, I dreaded reading his chapters, but he was starting to grow on me by the end of the book. Except for one thing: he doesn't use capital letters. At all. And it kind of drives me a little crazy.

There are kind of three storylines going on here. Grayson likes (pretty cool) girl named Jane, but is too afraid to put himself out there to attempt a relationship with her. Will is closeted and miserable, and his storyline is about starting to come to terms with who he is. And Tiny Cooper is putting on a musical about his life. And Grayson and Will's storylines are good and all, but it's all completely overshadowed by the sheer win that is Tiny Cooper's musical. Can I please get an original cast CD of this? I know that life's problems aren't normally solved by musical numbers and stirring scenes in the auditorium, but maybe they should be.

So it's all insanely over the top. I honestly loved it. I'm only knocking off a star because Levithan's parts didn't appeal to me nearly as much as Green's (especially those first few chapters!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

11/28/2011 page 22
7.0% "The mood whiplash between the two Will Graysons is so severe I feel like I could sue Levithan for my chiropractic bill."
11/29/2011 page 108
35.0% "I'm already finding myself skimming the Levithan chapters. I probably would have abandoned this one if it weren't half by John Green, and thus half awesome."
11/30/2011 page 216
70.0% "Ok, so I'm starting to feel a little bad for not liking Levithan's Will Grayson right away. A little."

message 1: by Meg ♥ (last edited Mar 19, 2012 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg ♥ I'm almost done with this book and decided to check out the reviews. I feel the complete opposite is true for me. I love JG, but I'm finding Levithan's story and characters more interesting for some reason. Good book, though!

Sesana I got more into Levithan's chapters as the story went on, but the first few about did me in.