LAnn's Reviews > One Piece, Volume 04: The Black Cat Pirates

F 50x66
Mar 25, 2011

bookshelves: 4-stars
Read on March 25, 2011

I didn't expect the fourth volume of One Piece to be consistently good all the way through. I expect to see a bit of fighting, but seeing a very heavy fight with drama mixed in through the entire volume made me really happy. I was glad to see Oda push for more current story instead of past story drama and everything like that.

The fourth volume still pushed Luffy's problem of caring for other people to much, but I'm finding this to be a charming quality the more I read about it. There's not a lot of characters that would just help someone they just met, so good for him. Also, Zoro just keeps getting more bad-ass, but it's really nice to see him have a weakness. I'm glad the characters are dynamic in that way.

Also, the fourth volume introduces fan questions sent in. In reading the questions and answers, I'm kind of glad they added this feature. Some of the questions asked are a bit silly, but others really add elements to the manga that I didn't think of. I learned little bits and pieces about the characters that I didn't originally know. It's nice to learn things like that.

I really hope One Piece stays this way. I know that more past stories are inevitable, but I really liked the feel and pacing of volume four. I can't wait to see volume five.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Piece, Volume 04.