Courtney's Reviews > The Night Season

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

Mar 25, 11

Read from March 21 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

I'm not going to lie. I adore Chelsea Cain and it's almost impossible for me to put her Archie & Gretchen series down, but I was disappointed with #4. Not enough action, not enough blood-and-guts, not enough Gretchen, not enough evil. If that makes me a bloodthirsty psychopath, so be it. I have seriously high expectations of Cain and they were not met with this book, though I confess I was able to smash through it in a matter of hours, more or less.

What I will praise is the development of Susan as a character. She's fantastic and I love her. She's gutsy, takes no shit from anyone and is so kick-ass I find myself chuckling at her antics and her sense of humour all the time. I felt that Archie was a bit empty this time around but I liked the Henry disaster. I also liked Cain's accurate description of Portland flooding, especially given that my city experienced devastating floods only two months ago. Good timing. The use of octopuses was awesome too, if a little far-fetched, though being Australian I can completely understand the terror of those godforsaken little floating bastards.

I'm glad I read it and will definitely continue with this gripping series, but I'm hoping for a bit more of a punch in the face from #5. I have faith in Chelsea.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Season.