Amy Sturgis's Reviews > The Seven-Per-Cent Solution: Being a Reprint from the Reminiscences of John H. Watson M.D.

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer

3982049
Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: 20th-century, sherlockiana, mystery
Read from March 25 to April 07, 2011

This was a very solid, very able Holmes pastiche. I quite enjoyed the way Meyer captured Watson's voice as narrator, worked in multiple references to Arthur Conan Doyle's original canon, dealt with Holmes's cocaine addiction, uncovered the "true" story of Moriarty, and incorporated the historical figure of Sigmund Freud as a character in the story. I definitely plan to read Meyer's other two Holmes novels.

I clearly see how this novel informed Michael Dibdin's The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, which also focuses on Sherlock's cocaine addiction and its relationship to Moriarty. Because that novel was so much darker and psychologically complex, I rather wish I'd read the novels in the opposite order. Meyer's would have seemed more daring if I hadn't already read Dibdin. Nonetheless, there are some great insights in The Seven-Percent Solution about not only Sherlock's nature, but also Mycroft's, as well. These were very satisfying.

Thus far my favorite pastiche remains Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye, but I'm still just getting started on my reading. I most certainly would recommend this novel to anyone interested in non-canonical Holmesian literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven-Per-Cent Solution.

04/06/2011 page 178