Norain's Reviews > Outside of a Dog: A Bibliomemoir

Outside of a Dog by Rick Gekoski

Mar 25, 11

bookshelves: couldnt-finish, barr-smith-library
Read from March 21 to 25, 2011

I read it halfway and decided it was better to abandon it and move on. It was probably a mistake to start reading on books about books with a memoir, particularly because I have not read any of the books the writer wrote about (no, not even Roald Dahl’s Matilda though I wanted so badly to read it – I am quite a fan of Dahl), and also because the writer was so into philosophy and literature, which I can understand but only on the surface, thus making us as compatible as oil and water. It was quite surprising that I was able to get this far.

I am not saying this is a book you must stay away from for the rest of your life if you do not want to go cranky. I like the writer’s wit. But it is not good enough to be captivating me and holding me fast until, at least, I get to know why on earth he chose ‘Outside a dog’ as the title. Wait, did he explain that already? Dunno, my mind was constantly on and off when I read it. Either way, maybe one day when I have free time and do not have other books to read (which is quite impossible, considering the LONG reading list I made after stealing a couple of hours off my revision time) maybe I will get back to it and continue from where I left it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside of a Dog.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Khairul H. (new)

Khairul H. I think it's based on the Groucho Marx quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read".

Norain Khairul H. wrote: "I think it's based on the Groucho Marx quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read"."

Actually, it is. It was written on the VERY FIRST page. Silly me.