Chibineko's Reviews > Blood Magic

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: cool, murder, paranormal-romance, romance, urban-fantasy, young-adult, random-house
Read from March 25 to April 07, 2011

I was a little apprehensive when I first approached this book. If you're a fan of YA urban fantasy then you'll understand the reasons why. The genre has become overfilled with too many books that all seem to tell the same story with very few variations. It's getting sort of difficult to find something that stands out from everything else enough without going completely overboard. Either the book is too typical or it's so atypical that it gets a little old & overbearing in its attempt to stand out. About 100 pages into the book I was glad to discover that this book wasn't either of those things.

What I absolutely loved about this book is that Gratton managed to mix the familiar ideas of YA fiction (boy meets girl, sparks ensue, they battle trouble together, etc) with ideas that haven't been worn to tatters. While witches aren't new by any means, the idea of blood magic is still pretty fresh as far as YA goes. It was a nice change of pace from the usual "vampires, werewolves, & angsty love interests, oh my!" that you see on every shelf. I also loved that there were a few actual repercussions to things. Using blood magic meant that Silla would have to cause wounds that people noticed as well as a huge drop of energy that could incapacitate her. The characters are pretty nice as well. I'm a little disappointed that not all of them were as thoroughly fleshed out as they could have been, but this is an ongoing series & I have a feeling that what's missing will later be valuable plot information down the line.

The only downfall is the usage of multiple POVs. The action jumps around a little too much, irritating me at times because it just seemed a little unnecessary. Even worse than that though was that (like others have said) there wasn't a huge amount of difference between the voice of Silla & the voice of Nick. I can't help but feel that it might have been a little better served if it was in third person rather than being narrated.

However, the narration didn't bother me enough to completely throw me out of the story & I quickly devoured this in about two days. I'll be honest that this is predominantly typical YA fare, there's enough here to where I really enjoyed it & can't wait to read the next book in the series. (Supposedly this is a stand alone book but it just feels like the beginning of a series & Gratton already has another book set in this universe.) In the end this is one of those guilty pleasure books that you love to read because it's such a good way to pass the time. It has its rough edges but those will probably be smoothed away as the author gets more familiar with her work. This is just a nice comfy read.

(ARC provided by Amazon Vine)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Magic.

04/05/2011 page 30
7.0% "Nicholas is kind of a butt. Then again, so are his dad & stepmom, so I can see why he'd act that way."
04/05/2011 page 82
20.0% "Hmm... just started thinking about it: with a name like Lilith, she's bound to be more than she seems. An obvious tell? I'll find out as the book goes on."
04/06/2011 page 168
40.0% "This is pretty good. Nice & readable. It has familiar, well-trod themes so it'll be easy for readers to slip into but just enough of a new twist so it won't blend into the other books that are out there."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela I am very jealous of you re: this ARC, and I'm guessing you got it through Vine. This title didn't show up in my targeted newsletter, so I only saw it on Thursday when the "leftovers" newsletter came through, and I didn't have enough reviews done at that point to request more books. *sad face* I follow the author online through the Merry Sisters of Fate blog where she posts short stories along with Maggie Stiefvater and Brenna Yovanoff, and I've been really impressed with her short story writing. I will be anxious to know what you think of it! :)

Chibineko I was pretty enthusiastic when this showed up. I love the idea of blood magic. Hopefully it'll be good! I promise I'll tell you all about it later. (Not as good as the real thing, but then vine won't allow us to lend our copies out. Imagine how many more good reviews they could get this way!)

Angela I look forward to your report at a later time! :) And I hope I can somehow read one of my current Vine books during the next week, knock out a review, and then hope that there are still copies of this available in the leftovers newsletter. All of these events combining to work in my favor are unlikely though....

Chibineko So far it isn't bad. It's typical YA fare but I like the way it's written. Granted I'm only on page 30, but it seems promising.

message 5: by Angela (last edited Apr 06, 2011 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela Promising sounds like a good thing! I really like Gratton's writing on her shared short story blog, so I'm pleased to hear that it has carried over into her longer book. I'm so behind on my Vine books that I still haven't been able to read, review, and post about another book so I can request this. Hopefully I'll get that request in before the next newsletter comes out.

Also, sorry for my delayed response to your last email message. I'm swamped with school stuff right now and flying out tomorrow afternoon for a friend's wedding. In about a week I'll be able to be more social again. :)

Angela Finished this earlier this week and just posted my review. Seems like we had similar takes on it! :)