Allison's Reviews > Survivor's Guide to Home Schooling

Survivor's Guide to Home Schooling by Luanne Shackelford

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from March 24 to May 30, 2011

Oh, this is just great, just great. I'm going to re-read it again now. This was a very realistic picture of homeschooling. But written conversationally so it's easy to read. The writers are (were?) directors of a big homeschool co-op and this book seems to me to be based on the counseling and encouraging they did in real life. And, this is little, but could have been very annoying and wasn't: the book is co-written but the authors don't switch back and forth. All examples of 'how I did it' are from just one of them. The book was encouraging but it was also challenging. I mean, there's a whole chapter on What About Time for Me. (The answer is you'll get to spend time with your kids but you will have to wait on a lot of the other things that you want to do for the time being. And that's your choice.) There's a chapter on where do the dads fit in. There's a chapter on teaching several grades at once and what to do with the little ones while you're teaching. And there's a whole chapter on disciplining because if your kids don't do what you tell them to do when you're "mom", they're not going to do what you tell them to do when you're "teacher". And some examples of schedules (a wide variety) because school does have to get done some time, but you need flexibility too. You can tell she enjoys teaching her kids, but also knows that some days "school doesn't have to be fun, it just has to be done". She talks some about curriculum and different styles of schooling, (Calvert got a good nod as does 'an exceptional job of teaching' as a secular textbook). But, she gives her recommended curriculum list for each grade. Because "we have found that first-timers usually need to start with a good program suggested by someone else. Then, the next year, they at least know what they don't like and can make a more educated choice for the following year". She's partial to BJU press textbooks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survivor's Guide to Home Schooling.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Are you reading this on your kindle or hard back?

Allison real book. Loaner from Abbey.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Let me know when you are finished with it so I can see if I can borrow it.

Allison No problem! Are you thinking about homeschooling??

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy A thought on the "Time For Me" chapter -- 'Women can have it all, just not at the same time.' Seasons of life change and actually change rather quickly. Oh, dear, I'm sounding old!