Jenn Baker's Reviews > If Wishes Were Horses

If Wishes Were Horses by Robert Barclay

Jun 23, 11

Read in June, 2011

I saw this book at my local Borders just before it closed. Because I had already picked up a couple of books and didn't have enough money to get anything else, I scanned the ISBN with my phone and put on my To Be Read list. I recently checked it out from the library, and I was not disappointed.

Much like I did with Nicholas Evans' Horse Whisperer in 1995, I was drawn to this book not by it's cover blurb, but because it had a horse on the cover. I know. A book shouldn't be judged by it's cover, but sometimes it can lead you a gem of a story.

Robert Barclay has given the world a book that pulls at the heart strings. There were many times during the story that I had tears in my eyes, and few times that tears actually did flow. I won't tell you why, because I don't want to spoil the story. It's a rare book that can make me cry.

The characters were written very well. They were believable and I found myself very interested in what happened to them, especially Trevor. I think in this whole story, Trevor had the largest hurdle to overcome. Wyatt's wasn't far behind, but a young teenage boy takes longer to realize his beliefs about a situation are wrong.

For a non-horse person, Robert Barclay did a wonderful job with his research. However, there were a few minor things that were incorrect, but I was able to mostly overlook them. I was yelling at Ram because he took a lit cigarette in to a barn.

This was an enjoyable Sweet Romance. There was a kiss around page 300 and it did lead to sex, but Barclay did not show his readers that moment between the characters. Sometimes, it's nice to read something not so graphic. There were many times I thought Wyatt and Gabby should have kissed long before they actually did.

I will be recommending this story to my family and friends.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Wishes Were Horses.