Sherwood Smith's Reviews > The Cloud Roads

The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells

162084
Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading, fantasy

Off to a terrific start--as I expected. (Reading on Kindle, so there is no page count progress.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cloud Roads.

07/04/2011 "It's a real pleasure watching this novel unfold. Just at the right time--when the reader gets a sense of Moon's being an outsider--the action propels us to a set of new questions. Bits of back story are fed in bits, instead of stopping the narrative to shove in exposition in chunks. *Love*"
07/25/2011
20.0% "Terrific worldbuilding--I find myself less engaged with characters (no significant women so far)"
09/07/2011
35.0% "Things are definitely picking up, now that it's not all males, all fighting all the time"

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon It's a little late to mention it, but one can enter progress as a percentage; there's a link to toggle it a little to the right of the page # field.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huh, sorry, I take it back. The toggle is in the Android app but not the regular Web interface! Annoying.

D.A.— warn me if there's a love triangle or drama w/ book On goodreads, when you "update status" you can click "page" to the left of "page __ of" to enter percentage instead.

message 4: by Phil (new) - added it

Phil If you change to the Kindle edition, GR will accept a percentage for progress (I think you can do this with regular books but cannot recall the incantation).

Fayley Are you still reading this? I loved all 3 although I could have cut out all the action and just explored Moon's and his new life.

message 6: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith I set it aside, but I mean to get back to it!

Fayley Oh I'm surprised it didn't hold your interest. Wells has a style that (except for the action sequences) reminds me of Kate Elliot, and I know you liked some of her books.

message 8: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith At the point I set it aside there seemed to be no interesting women in sight. But I will pick it up again--so many friends loved it, and indeed, I even bought the sequel. Waiting until the mood is just right.