Junior Morales's Reviews > Brave New World Revisited

Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley

M_50x66
Mar 24, 11

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley offers a new perspective on future governments and civilizations. The main goal of the ruling government (The World State) is to maintain a stable global society by maximizing profit and efficiency of virtually anything. In order to fulfill their goals, The World State uses certain tactics that make the citizens follow orders without question. Some of the tactics used include, genetic engineering, sexual exposure, and hypnosis. From birth, the citizens of The World State are assigned a role in society and are put into different social classes. Citizens are also only taught one skill that must be used in order to perform the specific occupation The World State assigns.

To me the most interesting fact about this book is that it was written in the 1950’s. I was fascinated at how prophetic the ideas in this book could be and related it to George Orwell’s 1984 many times. I also enjoyed Aldous Huxley’s creativity and descriptive writing which helped me stay focused throughout the book.

An ongoing theme I noticed throughout the story was the idea of manipulation. Manipulation plays an important role in the story because it is the only way The World State can maintain control of its citizens. The idea of a society focused on maximizing profit by manipulating citizens may seem a bit impractical and can make you lose interest in the story. However, with the right mentality this book can easily be enjoyed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World Revisited.