William1's Reviews > I Will Bear Witness, Volume 2: a Diary of the Nazi Years 1942-1945

I Will Bear Witness, Volume 2 by Victor Klemperer

Mar 23, 2016

bookshelves: 20-ce, ww-ii, war, diary, autobiography, memoir, germany, translation

An astonishing document that's unlike anything else I know that might fit under the heading of Nazi period memoirs. The perspective it provides — that of a Jewish academic and his "Aryan" wife living in Dresden during a time of state-sponsored racism — is unique. Moreover, it's very well written. Do read both volumes.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Will Bear Witness, Volume 2.

03/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Saleem (new)

Saleem Khashan the grandiose acts of the so called religious and race segregaters shows how easy it's to mistake idiocy for Cause!

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne King I'm sure William that this book is excellently written but that was such a sad time...

William1 True. But the man's intelligence and his resilience in the face of his tormentors is deeply moving.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl I'm reading this from my phone app, so I can't tell how many pages are in each volume until I get to a computer, but this seems like a war-lit must-read. Thanks for the introduction.

William1 Thanks Cheryl. As you see, it's astonishing stuff.