William1's Reviews > Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness

Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness by Chögyam Trungpa

Apr 06, 16

it was ok
bookshelves: buddhism, 20-ce, spirituality, tibet, to-read

Rough sledding. The writing is tortuous. I would direct interested readers to the books of Trungpa's student, Pema Chödrön. Her well written and far more engaging works—especially Start Where You Are, The Places That Scare You and When Things Fall Apart—do a better job of conveying the Master's teachings than his own writings.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness.

03/15 marked as: to-read

Joshua Abeles seriously?

William1 Sure.

Joshua Abeles i find the writing simple and unpretentious, something often lacking in Buddhist/ "spiritual" texts. and as far as i can tell, she merely regurgitates the teachings of trungpa. so i prefer to go to the source.

message 5: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg I agree with you, William.

William1 If you can read him, my blessings. I cannot. Chodron is a great disseminator of Trungpa's message than was the man himself. I'm so grateful he was her teacher. :-)

William1 Thanks Greg!

William1 Sadly, he died of alcoholism.