Kerrie's Reviews > Breathless

3202093
Jul 11, 14

bookshelves: from-library, did-not-finish
Read from April 03 to 17, 2011

Do I dare??? We'll see if this ends up getting returned to the library, unread.

Considering this craptastic review of her book Reckless, I don't have high hopes. She IS my sis, and I listen to her opinions on literary shite.

----

OK, I tried. I really don't care for the whole Regency ambiance of social status and the exclusive "ton" (except for those people who are in the "other" ton, the one that will associate with poor widdle ostracized Melinda.) Who cares? Yawn. But.... Anne Stuart is awesome! Her characters are wonderful! Her writing is so dark and edgy! So they say.

I'm not even rating it because I didn't even get halfway through it. Tho I'm sure it would get 2 stars at the most. It was just ... boring. In the pages that I read, it went from one internal monologue to another strung together with short scenes that never said much and didn't move along what passed for a plot more than a couple snail's paces.

Melinda's annoying "I'm so plain and so NOT beautiful" pity party was annoying. I don't know how readers find this character attractive enough to keep buying these books so authors keep producing them. I wanted to throttle her. Lucien, who was supposedly all brooding and bad, reminded me of John Malkovich at his campiest Dangerous Liaisons best which was entertaining (tho Lucien was not) but definitely not intimidating.

I finally stopped at page 113, when Melinda was stomping off to see Lucien with the thought that "he's as harmless as a kitten" - or puppy. I don't remember. I don't care. Lucien was still a cipher at this point, but Melinda had already displayed numerous instances of stupid and I couldn't take it anymore. Her declaration that "Lucien and I are friends!" after only spending less than 24 hours together in each other's company made me want to throttle her. She had all the emotional maturity of a 10-year-old even though Stuart kept telling us how independent and wise she was for living happily outside the ton. (Except she was always bitching about how miserable she was.) You go girl. Whatever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathless.

04/04/2011 page 10
3.0% "Ok, so 2 pages in (even tho page # sez 10) and we've got "ton" in the 1st friggin PARAGRAPH and the heroine bemoaning her plain looks... :-/" 11 comments
04/08/2011 page 59
16.0% "Lucien's measured and calculating manner of speaking is reminding me of John Malkovich...in EVERY role he has played. I don't mean that in a good way. Very monotonous. And campy. In fact, all of the characters so far sound the same way and only "so-and-so said" is helping me keep track." 1 comment
04/11/2011 page 83
22.0% "OK, there is waaaay too much time spent in the heads of the characters and not enough actual dialogue and action... you know, the stuff that actually makes shit happen." 9 comments
04/13/2011 page 103
27.0% "I've been trying to read for the last 15 minutes, but I find that I'm more entertained by watching my bunny watching me." 2 comments
04/18/2011 page 113
30.0% "I can't take it anymore." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla I eagerly wait with bated breath. :D

Kerrie ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Hey this is the one that I just picked up yesterday right?? heheheheh we should all read it! :P"

If we can do it in the next month, I may be able to finish it!

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla I'm up for it because I love pain. Obviously. :P

message 4: by Karla (new)

Karla OK, we'll leave it up to Kerrie to decide when to start. :P

Kerrie I gotta finish Captive of Desire first... give me the weekend, and we can start on this pile of pretentious pervy poo on Monday. :P

Kerrie OK, I'm going to be a week late and starting after Karla gave up and Jeanine drooled all over it. So now I'm really curious what my reaction is going to be...

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla I have my suspicions. :P

message 8: by Karla (new)

Karla Hah! Great review, or near-review of a DNF, or whatever the picknits call it. I'm glad I didn't struggle through it that far because I'd have ended up tossing it anyway.

Onwards and upwards to Rosemary Rogers!

Kerrie ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "heheheh I knew it...."

I know, not surprising, right? But hey, I tried. It read/scanned well when I did read it, the words moved along fast, but the story and characters just.... SUCKED.

Mermarie @Kerrie, that's how Sweet, Savage, Eden was for me. I didn't grow attached to any of the characters a few chapters in! I'm hesitant about reading this one.