Emily's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 24 to April 01, 2011

I really disliked Delirium (wouldn't have read it at all except that I had to for work). Call me crazy, but I always thought a good dystopia takes something that's problematic in contemporary society and shows what might happen if it's carried to an extreme. Something like a culture of entertainment and pleasure in Brave New World; genetic engineering in Oryx & Crake /Year of the Flood; or religion as government Handmaid's Tale. Delirium has no such basis. If anything, American society puts too much emphasis on the emotion of romantic love. Delirium is not a plausible dystopia.

My other complaint about the book was how quickly and easily Lena developed a physical relationship with Alex. It seems highly unrealistic for someone who spent her whole life believing that contact between two "uncured" people of opposite genders was wrong would be able to be physically intimate without feeling guilty or conflicted. I just don't buy it.

I'll admit that Delirium was fluidly written, if nothing else (hence two stars instead of just one). Lauren Oliver's style was pleasant, even if her content was severely irritating.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.