Aleeeeeza's Reviews > Shift

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: arc-netgalley-galleygrab, 2011-read
Read from March 30 to 31, 2011

*4.25 stars*

Book 1 in the series, Shade, ended on a bloody cliffhanger. Which meant I had to begin reading this one kind of right away. And duuuude, the first 100 pages or so were AMAZING. So good I could barely stop reading. In this book, (as we find out in Book 1) after Logan fails to pass on and has turned into a Shade, he comes back to Aura after three months, and somehow changes back into a ghost. And then, BAM!, he turns into a flesh-and-blood human for fifteen minutes, during which Aura and him almost love their virginity.

The plot does move at a pretty crack-a-lackin’ space, although it does grow a bit slow in the middle. But not for long, though, and it totally becomes addictive a while later. I mean, I did read this book in one day, ya know, so obviously it was super-exciting. All the stuff about the Shift we got to find out in this book was riveting!

So, let’s see: Logan did sort of annoy me in the chapters post the almost-love making, mostly because he made it awfully hard for Aura to try and move on with a guy she really has a chance with. She still loves him, obviously, but can they actually have a relationship based on conversations only and no-touching-only-desperate-wanting? All this when ZACHARY is right there?

Aura could’ve easily come across as slutty (especially considering how she’s kind of getting it on with Dylan, too, Logan’s younger brother, and the only one on his family who can see his ghost and thus feels very close to Aura because of this), but somehow Smith-Ready manages to make the reader totally empathize with her situation (for the most part, anyway. It was a bit head-scratching-y sometimes). The character development in this book was truly quite great, and I felt, in turn, both charmed with Zachary and Logan and alternately pissed off. (Seriously, guys, at one point in this book I went like: ZACHARY YOU BASTARD YOU COULD YOU OMGGGG I HATE YOU SO MUCH I CAN’T BELIEVE I ACTUALLY THOUGHT YOU WERE A DECENT GUY BUT NOW I REALIZE IT WAS ONLY YOUR YUMMY ACCENT WHICH I NOW ABHOR<-- no kidding, I got verrry emotional. And then some chapters later I was all: oh wow was I really that cold-hearted and judgmental? You poor thing, I totes get you know. *Sniffle*) The secondary characters were kick-butt, too, especially Aura’s best friend Megan. She was a delight! I’d so kill for a BFF like her.

This book also features answers to some questions that the first book posed (even if not completely), so I was glad about that. I was also tremendously pleased with the ending, even if it did tug on my heartstrings.

Only complaint? I never actually felt like I got to know Aura that well. We never really explore her personality without regard to the dudes she’s with…so that aspect could’ve been more fleshed-out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

Quotes Aleeeeeza Liked

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I guess you gotta try the rest before you settle down with the best.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“What the fuck do you want?" After a pause, he said in a firm voice, "This is Dylan Keeley, the guy who would've killed to trade places with you until five minutes ago." He met my eyes. "She doesn't want to talk to you. Now why don't you go back to screwing your prom queen and let me do the same.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Exactly," He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. "Sometimes we help ourselves, and sometimes we get help from ghosts in the woods and bampots in BMWs.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vinaya (new) - added it

Vinaya I've heard good things about this series... I should really read it, but dammit, where's the TIME?!!! I spend ninety percent of my life reading and I STILL don't have time for all the books on my TBR! :(

Aleeeeeza same here--even though i read a lot more slowly than you, so i can't read as many books as i'd like. give it a try--i hope you'll like it!