Jeff Sitko's Reviews > Fragment

Fragment by Warren Fahy

Mar 29, 11

Read in June, 2009

This one requires a bit of explaining on my part. Initially, I wanted to rate this as a 4/5 based on the human element; the characters seem somewhat flat, based on overused archetypes, BUT that being said, they are the ONLY downside to this book.

Otherwise it depicts the most imaginative and innovative tale of man bucking against the unrelenting tide of nature since Jurassic Park. I'm currently reading Pandemonium, Fragment's sequel, and the characters seem better this time (roughly halfway through the book), but the creatures are what rapaciously consume one's imagination. It's an innovative and delightfully thorough concept that readily raises one's hackles through being evolutionarily provocative on a scale as rare as the Henders Island denizens. The creatures are the true stars of this book; the humans are their fodder. For sheer ingenuity and creativity, for providing a glut of fictional creatures that I, as a man of science, can find both believable and biologically tenable, I must give this book 5/5. Well done, Mr. Fahy. I hope to be seeing more, much more. Both on pages and in cinemas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragment.