Vicky's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Mar 24, 11

At 16, Evie has lived at Center for eight years. Before that, she was a foster kid who nobody wanted. But as soon as the IPCA (International Paranormal ….) heard about her abilities, they grabbed her up and put her to work. For eight years, she’s been tracking, bagging and tagging vampires, werewolves, banshees, and other things that go bump in the night. She’s very important because she’s the only one who can see through their false outer layer (glamour) to the beast underneath. She sees herself as human and wants to live a normal life, but that’s not going to happen. When a boy her own age is captured after he breaks into the Center, Evie discovers what he really is. While he’s imprisoned there, they form a bond. When he saves her life – several times – the bond strengthens. But will it hold through their trials as they attempt to find out who’s killing all the paranormals?

This was a fast, exciting read. What could be better than a little romance, a little mystery, and a whole lot of paranormal activity? The characters are believable, the world building well done and the story decently crafted. If there are any drawbacks, it’s that I didn’t know from the beginning that the main character is a teenager. The way the story started out, I thought her to be an adult, then had to revise my perceptions as I got further in and discovered her age. Also, the ending felt a little rushed and almost like it dropped off which makes me wonder if this will be part of a series. Not a bad thing (series), but a bit irritating in the way the ending was contrived.

Other than these two issues, I still thought this to be a really good story that I would recommend to anyone who loves stories of “other” worlds.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.