Tonya's Reviews > At Home With the Templetons

At Home With the Templetons by Monica McInerney

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from March 24 to April 27, 2011

What a book! Monica knocked my socks off! This was my first book but it won't be my last by a long shot! The Templetons are a big imposing bunch, each with a big personality! We start out with Gracie arriving at what we know at the end to be "Templeton Hall", with some dark, curly, handsome stranger greeting her. Who was he? Then we go back to what happened to get to that moment.

Eleanor, the mother of the crew, she was an iffy character, didn't hate her but didn't care for her either. Too wishy-washy for me. Stand up for yourself love! The dad, good ole liar himself, Henry -- he is a liar, but a smooth character, a ladies man I suppose eh. Then we have the children. The oldest is Charlotte, who went to boarding school and eventually threatens to not come home until they make Aunt Hope go away --- which I think she just used as an excuse. Then we have Audrey, who is a theatrical girl. She gets a part in a play, then comes the big day. She gets up there, oh darn, stage fright! From that day on she doesn't speak to anyone. Falls in love with a therapist. Find out what happens to her...

We have one of the best characters in my opinion, Gracie next. Gracie is the most lovable, easiest to get along with character. Even Tom thinks so! Speaking of Tom, you will meet Tom and his mom Nina along the way too. Nina is another one that you will either come to understand or hate. I think there is no middle road.

One character I think we can all hate is Hope. At one teeny tiny point I thought there might be hope for Hope, but alas she ruined that one. Hope is detestable. But she makes the book enjoyable and keeps you guessing the whole entire book, highly entertaining!

And last but not least we have the youngest, the spoiled brat Spencer, who a lot of things wouldn't have happened without him. You either love him or hate him too. He didn't have many goals in life, maybe that is what being the youngest and hanging around Hope did for him.

Monica knows what readers want, and she gave it. I can't wait to get my hands on her other books. I will recommend this book to everyone! Perfect book to take to the beach, makes you forget all your own drama for a day!
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Home With the Templetons.

04/17/2011 page 3