Sesana's Reviews > Because I Am Furniture

Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas

May 10, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, verse-novels, young-adult, abuse
Read in May, 2011

I love novels in verse. I read virtually every one I can get my hands on. They can be very quick reads, and the good ones strip away everything but the most essential parts of the narrative, and the barest emotions. I'd say this is one of the good ones.

Anke's father beats her brother and sister, and sexually abuses her sister. Anke he ignores entirely. She's furniture, usually not even worthy of notice. She doesn't want her father's attention, but she also doesn't want to be entirely ignored. I imagine it's hard to get into the head of a character in this position, but Chaltas manages it.

The plotting does at time seem to stall out, with a few plot threads that don't seem to go anywhere. Anke's friend Rona, for example, who left me feeling like an entire thread had been planned for her and abandoned by the wayside. The volleyball thread is important, but sometimes seems to vanish from the book. For something that so forms Anke's character by the end of the book, it's strange that it doesn't have a larger role in the narrative.

But those are mostly minor concerns, and easily overlooked in a book that can be read through this quickly. By the time I realized that Rona had lost her plotline, I was long done with the book, and it didn't bother me terribly much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because I Am Furniture.