Sesana's Reviews > Invisible I

Jun 07, 11

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, mystery, young-adult
Read from May 13 to June 07, 2011

Another YA book that I thought was just ok that will probably appeal far more to the actual target audience. In fact, it seems it has. I just ran by the tie-in website and found plenty of posts within the last day. Not bad for a book released nearly two years ago.

I have a couple issues, but other readers may overlook them. The first is the stereotypical clique. I am getting a little bored by this storyline, which consumes much of the book. For one, it doesn't match my experiences in any way. Yes, there were popular people at my high school, but nobody who was viciously cruel to others would have been popular for long. There may actually be mean girls out there, and those mean girls may somehow remain popular despite nobody really liking them much, but it always reads as totally unrealistic to me. This is very much a YMMV thing.

The other issue, and the real deal breaker for me, is that nothing seems to really happen in this book. It goes nowhere. Obviously, it's the first book in the series, but first books still need to take you somewhere. My guess is that they're trying to drag this out over two more books, but the way to do that is to have more happening, not labor over what has already happened.

I won't be bothering with the second book in series, or the likely third. I can't bring myself to feel concerned about Amanda or her disappearance, and I'm not interested enough in Callie to find out what happens to her and her family. Good thing, because the next book is from a different character's perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible I.