Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews)'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Sep 19, 14

bookshelves: favorites, multiple-reads, hero-worship, magic-witches-wizards, classics, vampires-werewolves, fantasy, young-adult, epic, high-fantasy
Recommended for: everyone
Read in December, 2011, read count: 7

Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince, the 6th out of a series of seven books. This is the book I had been waiting for since I first read Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone. The long awaited book where Harry's and Dumbledore's relationship finally comes to the forefront. This was my first re-read since the HBP movie came out...I remember being so disappointing in the film for taking a more 'romantic comedy' approach and leaving out so many important details. But this re-read has actively restored my faith in HBP as only the second best Harry Potter book out there. I'll try and summarize generally before going into plot details but it's hard for me not to go into spoilers right away: there is so much to discuss!

So HBP starts off fresh on the heels of OotP. Everyone in the wizarding community knows that Voldemort is back now. The Ministry for Magic has gotten rid of Fudge and taken an stronger stance against the dark forces that loom ever closer. Having now lost his godfather as well, Harry must come to grips with his loss, as well as the contents of the ominous prophecy regarding himself and Lord Voldemort. (view spoiler) The writing in HBP is above reproach, it just flows effortlessly and the book reads in the same way. We are getting into the thick of the real plot now. The truth about Harry's destiny...and Voldemort's. And I loved learning every little detail of it right along with Harry. The scenes in Dumbledore's office with the pensive are among the most riveting in the whole series.

I did however find it a bit frustrating that Ron & Hermione are so reluctant to believe Harry's thoughts on Draco. (view spoiler) I feel like at this point, they've known each other long enough and been through enough together to know that Harry's hunches are usually dead on. The guy has amazing instinct, period.

Another highlight in HBP for me is Ginny and the evolution of her character and consequentially her relationship with Harry. Can I just say how much I love Ginny?! She's fierce, brave, an incredibly skilled witch. She is also the least intimidated by Harry. He can be raging or sad to a point where Ron and Hermione would hesitate to approach him...but Ginny never hesitates...she can always get through to him. (view spoiler)

And finally:Horcruxes! Loved learning about them, how they came to be...every single pensive giving a clue for one or more of them. The concept is brilliant, hats off to Rowling for coming up with the whole idea. (view spoiler) And yes the ending is beyond sad and I tear up a few times during the final chapters. But it's fitting, it's what needed to happen and it sets the stage perfectly for 'Deathly Hallows'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Quotes Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews) Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Do you remember me telling you we are practicing non-verbal spells, Potter?"
"Yes," said Harry stiffly.
"Yes, sir."
"There's no need to call me "sir" Professor."
The words had escaped him before he knew what he was saying.”

J.K. Rowling
“It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.”

J.K. Rowling
“He accused me of being Dumbledore's man through and through."
"How very rude of him."
"I told him I was."
Dumbledore opened his mouth to speak and then closed it again. Fawkes the phoenix let out a low, soft, musical cry. To Harry's intense embarrassment, he suddenly realized that Dumbledore's bright blue eyes looked rather watery, and stared hastily at his own knee. When Dumbledore spoke, however, his voice was quite steady.
"I am very touched, Harry.”

J.K. Rowling
“Harry looked around; there was Ginny running toward him; she had a hard blazing look in her face as she threw her arms around him. And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her. After several long moments, or it might have been half an hour-or possibly several sunlit days- they broke apart.”

J.K. Rowling
“When we come face-to-face with one down a dark alley, we're going to be having a shufti to see if it's solid, aren't we, we're not going to be asking, 'Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?”

J.K. Rowling
“You are protected, in short, by your ability to love!”

J.K. Rowling
“Dumbledore would have been happier than anybody to think that there was a little more love in the world.”

J.K. Rowling
“And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her.”

J.K. Rowling
“When we were in Diagon Alley,' Harry began, but Mr. Weasley forstalled him with a grimace.
Am I about to discover where you, Ron, and Hermione disappeared to while you were supposed to be in the back room of Fred and George's shop?'
How did you...?'
Harry, please. You're talking to the man who raised Fred and George.”

J.K. Rowling
“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”

11/28/2011 page 58
10.0% "'And now Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure' _Albus Dumbledore"
12/05/2011 page 305
50.0% "...by the time I get to book 6, the reading pace always picks up :)"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kayla I agree with your thoughts on Ginny. J.K. had her in the plot all along. I noticed she was their. J.K was just slowly building her character. :)

Draco as a Death Eater! I know right! Harry's hunches are always right. Why didn't Hermione and Ron just listen to him...

Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews) I know right?! I was so surprised when I first heard people saying she came out of nowhere's and J.K. was at fault for not putting her in the forefront more.

LOL! I kept shaking my head thinking: ''he's right! quit arguing with him and DO SOMETHING'' :)

Kayla lol :)

message 4: by Muneera (new)

Muneera Hi my brother has had the 6th and 7th series and he didn't read them. So i thought of reading them. I haven't read the ones before but do you think I'll be able to manage what's going on even if I didn't read the previous series?