Micheline's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Mar 24, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, multiple-reads, hero-worship, magic-witches-wizards, classics, vampires-werewolves, fantasy, young-adult, epic, high-fantasy
Recommended for: everyone
Read from July 12 to 16, 2016 , read count: 7

Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban has always been, in my opinion, one of the best books of the series. Even as far as the movies go, I feel that PoA is by far the best book to film adaptation out of all 8 movies. Yes Harry Potter and Ron and Hermione are still fairly young in the third book, but I find they have matured quite a bit this time around. They're officially in their teens, and they've already had their fair share of adventures. This time around however, Harry has more to worry about than just Voldemort (as if that wasn't already enough). Harry's Summer vacation at the Dursley's take a turn for the worse when Uncle Vernon's vile sister Marge comes to visit. She is completely horrible to Harry, and by comparison makes his Aunt & Uncle look almost human. After a disastrous visit ends abruptly (lol) Harry finds himself spending his last two weeks of Summer vacation in Diagon Alley. I always feel so happy about Harry being able to soak in his magical surroundings and do as he pleases...I mean how fun would it be to hang out in Diagon Alley?!

The writing here is above reproach. I read somewhere that J.K. Rowling said that when she had finished writing Half Blood Prince, she hadn't been that satisfied with a book since The Prisoner of Azkaban, and I think it shows: this is Rowling at her best. There are so many new magical elements added in the mix this time : The Maurauder's Map, the discovery of the identity of the Maurauders themselves, the Dementors are absolute nightmares (view spoiler) , the Patronus charms are really cool, and always have me imagining what I think my own Patronus would be. I also really enjoy the visits the the wizarding village of Hogsmeade, the only all wizard settlement in London.

(view spoiler)

As usual, the book ends with the requisite Dumbledore & Harry heart to heart. And Dumbledore always contributes a hint at a key plot element that will come to play again later on in the story. (view spoiler) Upon rereading you really get to savour that expert foreshadowing. It's brilliant to see how it all fits together in the end...every little detail is woven into the plot for a reason. Not many authors can ever dream of accomplishing such a feat, but J.K. Rowling does it seamlessly.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my absolute favorite books in the world. From the very first sentence where Rowling re-introduces us to our beloved hero by telling us how strange he is, I was, and still am in love. I adore the tone, the new characters and how Harry and co. have obviously matured and grown so much already. The feels are strong for this one...♥

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Quotes Micheline Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Are you insane? Of course I want to leave the Dursleys! Have you got a house? When can I move in?”

J.K. Rowling
“You think the dead we loved truly ever leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly in times of great trouble?”

J.K. Rowling
“I knew I could do it all this time,” said Harry, “Because I'd already done it... does that make sense?”

J.K. Rowling
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

J.K. Rowling
“Harry!" said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. "Simply splendid to see you, old boy-"
"Marvelous," said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry's hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing."
Percy scowled.
"That's enough, now," said Mrs. Weasley.
"Mum!" said Fred as though he'd only just spotted her and seizing her hand too. "How really corking to see you-”

J.K. Rowling
“Don't let the muggles get you down.”

J.K. Rowling
“I'm not going to be murdered,' Harry said out loud.

'That's the spirit, dear,' said his mirror sleepily.”

J.K. Rowling
“What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed?" said Black, with a terrible fury in his face. "Only innocent lives, Peter!"
"You don't understand!" whined Pettigrew. "He would have killed me, Sirius!"
"THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED!" roared Black. "DIED RATHER THAN BETRAY YOUR FRIENDS, AS WE WOULD HAVE DONE FOR YOU!”

J.K. Rowling
“What you fear most of all is —fear. Very wise...”
tags: fear

“Mischief Managed.”

J.K. Rowling
“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

J.K. Rowling
“Harry flung himself out from behind the bush and pulled out his wand.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" he yelled.

And out of the end of his wand burst, not a shapeless cloud of mist, but a blinding, dazzling, silver animal. He screwed up his eyes, trying to see what it was. It looked like a horse. It was galloping silently away from him, across the black surface of the lake. He saw it lower its head and charge at the swarming dementors. . . . Now it was galloping around and around the black shapes on the ground, and the dementors were falling back, scattering, retreating into the darkness. . . . They were gone.

The Patronus turned. It was cantering back toward Harry across the still surface of the water. It wasn't a horse. It wasn't a unicorn, either. It was a stag. It was shining brightly as the moon above. . . it was coming back to him. . . .

It stopped on the bank. Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized. . . "Prongs," he whispered.

But as his trembling fingertips stretched toward the creature, it vanished.”

09/08/2011 page 75
17.24% "I ♥ Prisoner of Azkaban"
09/14/2011 page 256
58.85% "I love Moony, Padfoot & Prongs!"
02/22/2016 marked as: read
07/12/2016 marked as: currently-reading
07/12/2016 page 7
1.0% "Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways. ♥" 2 comments
07/14/2016 page 237
54.0% "EXPECTO PATRONUM!!"
07/16/2016 page 435
100.0% "THIS BOOK THOUGH ♥♥♥"
07/16/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Kayla I inhaled this series. lol When I find good books I stop everything to read them. :)

I love how J.K fits all of the pieces of the story together. She did an excellent job with this book. :) POA and Deathly Hallows are my favorite.

Did you know they have a Harry Potter theme park in Orlando, Florida? It has Diagon all setup with actual shops and everything. It's super cool! :)

Micheline hahaha same here, even the first few re-reads I was still inhaling...I think that's why I kept re-reading, hoping I could slow down. I finally have a bit ;)

I agree about J.K fitting all the pieces together, she's brilliant...and POA & Deathly Hallows are my favorites too, but also Half Blood Prince!

I do know and I am dying to go on vacation there very soon...hopefully within the next few years :) So you've been??? Is it everything you hoped for? lol

message 3: by Kayla (last edited Oct 28, 2011 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla Yes I've been! :) It was awesome! They had the shops all set up, it was so cool. I just wish there wasn't so many people, it was really crowded. When you go make sure you get the early park pass. Because the Harry Potter park gets so crowded during the day they have to close it. The main ride was awesome too, it seemed so real. :) My mom and sister freaked out at the spider part. :)

Micheline Oh awesome! I bet it was incredible, but I can imagine it was crowded! Hopefully by the time I end up going, it will have died down a bit :) Thanks for the tip too!

Kayla Your welcome! :) You'll have a great time! ;)

Chris Sorensen I just finished my review and HAD to find somebody that felt the same way...you summed it up WAY better than I did Micheline - best book in the series!!!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Micheline Thank you so much for the nice comment Chris! I agree, PoA is definitely a highlight in an already stellar series - I also rushed to read reviews once I was finished - on a quest to find people who felt the same!

I'm glad you loved it as much as I did :)

Jonathon Shannon Very well described! And I love your enthusiasm. It gets me excited too!

Micheline haha, thanks Jonathon! I do tend to get pretty excited where the Harry Potter books are concerned! :)

Aliza Alam all of the books ore amazing

message 11: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Seipel I agree with everyone who says this is a good book!

Nirali I know right!! It is my favorite series and I don't think I would dare to read another book series and love it as much as I love harry potter. I mean just think, how exciting would it be to hang out with harry in the wizard world and make magic and see Azkaban And of course Dumbledore!? And by the way, Dumbledore is also one of my favorite character.

Becky Best book and movie out of the series. So glad someone else agrees! :)

Nicole I love this book, too. And how cool is it that you share your birthday with Remus!

Micheline Glad to hear it Nicole^^ and I agree, it made me really happy when I found out :)