Micheline's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Sep 19, 14

bookshelves: favorites, multiple-reads, magic-witches-wizards, hero-worship, classics, vampires-werewolves, magnetic-male, fantasy, young-adult, epic, high-fantasy
Recommended for: everyone
Read in December, 2011, read count: 7

The final pieces of this complex and elaborate puzzle finally fall gracefully into place. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows: the seventh and final book of the Harry Potter series. It's hard to rate this book without allowing myself a little retrospective on the Harry Potter series as a whole. For anyone who has been following my previous reviews, you no doubt know that I am a HUGE (and obsessive) fan of the Potter series. The Harry Potter books are so much more than an excellent piece of fiction to me. Yes it's a brilliantly crafted 7-part series. Yes it is a interwoven, many-layered and detailed mystery/quest that captivates from book one and holds your interest till the very end. Yes it is a cultural phenomenon. But it is also so much more: it is about courage, and the real power of love. It is about standing up and fighting for what you believe in, even if you stand alone; even if it makes you an outcast, or a victim. It is about life and death, dark and light, faith and fear... This series will never cease to amaze me, to teach me and to touch me.

''Where you're treasure is, there will your heart be also.''

Now on to the book in question: Deathly Hallows. This is above all my favorite book in the series. No, let me correct that: this is my favorite book ever. After everything Harry has done, and been through, DH is the best possible ending for this epic tale.(view spoiler) In this thrilling final tale, Harry has been set a most deadly and fearsome task. A task which could spell the end of Voldemort...or destroy Harry in the process. With Ron and Hermione in tow, Harry skips his 7th and final year at Hogwarts...to follow the road set in front of him by Dumbledore at the end of HBP. This book is different from the others in the sense that most of the action takes place outside of Hogwarts; our hero(s) are hunting Horcruxes. (view spoiler)

''The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.''

J.K.Rowling really doesn't hold back in DH. All of the little pieces of information mentioned in passing in PS, CoS, PoA, GoF, OotP & HBP: do you remember all of those? Cause they're all gonna fit in there! Yeah! That's why I have re-read this series so many freaking times. I really am blown away when I think about the amount of information...and details...and plot...and world building that have gone into creating this legend; this magical world that I so enjoy getting lost in. I wish I could crawl into the pages of these books and live amongst the characters, and share their world with them. Now that I've finished reading the series *again*, I find myself wishing I had gotten early access to JKR`s new on-line creation 'PotterMore'; just to get all that extra information JK's been hoarding since Harry's 'conception'.

''Do not pity the dead Harry. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love.''

*Mild Spoilers Ahead*

So many scenes in DH are amongst my favorite scenes in the series: Harry's birthday kiss from Ginny, Harry visiting Godric's Hollow, Voldemort's memory of the night he killed Harry's parents, Chapter 24:The Wandmaker ♥, the whole Breaking into Gringott's bit is absolutely legendary, the quest for Horcruxes (and Hallows) as a whole, Harry's evolution throughout the series; from being lost and overwhelmed to putting it all together, the Prince's tale, Chapter 34:Into the Forest Again ♥ Chapter 35:King's Cross Station *happy dance*, and of course 'The Flaw in the Plan'...but my review is already growing long. So, I'll finish off with this. Harry Potter was a magical & wondrous series, and it's final installment is beyond what I had imagined when I first picked it up over 5 years ago. I'd give it 10 stars if I could!

''Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?''

Quotes Micheline Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

J.K. Rowling
“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.”

J.K. Rowling
“We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.”

J.K. Rowling
“I'm going to keep going until I succeed — or die. Don't think I don't know how this might end. I've known it for years.”

J.K. Rowling
“It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.”

J.K. Rowling
“Every second he breathed, the smell of the grass, the cool air on his face, was so precious: To think that people had years and years, time to waste, so much time it dragged, and he was clinging to each second.”

J.K. Rowling
“The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?'
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.”

12/19/2011 page 166
12/26/2011 page 386
63.0% "Chapter 24 - The Wandmaker ♥"
12/28/2011 page 467
77.0% "'Well, I don't know how to break this to you',said Ron, 'but I think they might have noticed we broke into Gringotts.'"
show 2 hidden updates…