Rachael Summerly's Reviews > A Dark Matter

A Dark Matter by Peter Straub

F 50x66
Mar 24, 11

Read in March, 2011

A story of childhood friendship with a twist.
The book immediately draws the reader in with the mystery of the 'dark matter' and grips from the start. Straub's knack of making us feel we truly know the characters helps the story to flow however it does not seem to reach the climax one wishes for.
It was a beautiful read, almost poetic, but I was left rather disappointed. Questions seemed to be left unanswered for me but perhaps that was the point, and the mystery never could be fully explained. If you like Stephen King, you'll find Straubs nature of descriptive quite similar and compelling, but like King the drama and suspense builds but never quite reaches it's full potential. The book itself plays out almost like a dream, and one wakes at the end wondering, what did it all mean?
It is one of those stories where you think you may have missed a few seemingly minor points, so I may infact re-read and probably will view the tale in a completely different way, and realise things I first over looked. Some points however, fail to have the horror that I feel Straub intended, and I found his description of some of these elements quite humourous as opposed to frightening. It is a story with great potential, the plot itself is very interesting, but I can't help but feel with a little more dark, forboding feeling it would really make the reader feel they had expereienced 'The Dark Matter' first hand.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dark Matter.