Elisha Condie's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Mar 24, 11

bookshelves: book-clubs
Read in March, 2011

First, I must admit I didn't read this whole thing. I gave it 100 pages and then couldn't take it anymore. Second, I admit that I just plain don't like books where you don't like the main characters - you can't ever get away from them!

Here are my problems with this book: Mamah Cheney, a married mother of two is involved in a passionate affair with Frank Lloyd Wright. She fills so unfulfilled in her life, wishes her husband was a jerk so she would have a reason to leave him, rolls around on the floor with FLW because, dang it, he just makes her feel so alive. FLW, on the other hand, is a genius. Yet when he's not with Mamah he just is so uninspired. Henry Ford wants a new house built and poor ol' Frank can't think of a good plan for it. The problems these people have make me want to poke them in the eyes.

Boo hoo, everyone. Try having cancer. Or living with someone with cancer. THAT is a problem. Feeling unfulfilled intellectually is not a problem. Read a book. Try harder not to think about yourself all the time.

Some of my friends loved this and thought it was very thought provoking. I wanted to agree with them, but man, I can't see past how much I disliked the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne good to know....I felt this way about the Reliable Wife, too....I actually threw it away...in the trash.

message 2: by Marci (new)

Marci That is funny, I feel the same way about reading books when you don't like any of the characters. I started reading "The Women", which is also a book with Frank Lloyd Wright as a character. I didn't like him in that either, and didn't even finish it.