Rea's Reviews > Truth or Dare

Truth or Dare by Celia Rees

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: read-as-teen, mystery, teen
Read in October, 2011

Can't remember what happens in this book at all but I do know I read it 2 or 3 times during my early teen years so it must have captured my attention when I was the target age. I still have it somewhere and will probably keep it for any future children.

---
After re-read:

Full review can be found here.

The problem with revisiting books from your childhood more than ten years later is that they no longer hold that sense of awe that your memory insists was present all those years ago. It took me about fifty pages to remember what the “shocking twist” at the end was and after that it was all just refreshing my memory.

One of the problems was that, though I may have liked Josh ten years ago (maybe even sympathised with him), this time around his behaviour was at times irritating and voyeuristic (spying on the girl next door sunbathing using your dead uncle’s star gazing binoculars? Just no.) And what was with Katherine’s sudden change of heart? She rightly shows him up at the party but then she apologises for her actions and becomes a permanent fixture in the second half of the book. I didn’t buy that. There were better ways that that could have been handled.

The best bit by far was Joanna’s story of the events of the summer of space madness. This story was more engaging than Joshua’s and gave an interesting look at autism in a time before it was really understood. Any readers of this book should pay attention to the sometimes very subtle parallels between Patrick’s behaviour and his father’s. The grandfather is never portrayed as a sympathetic character but he does have layers that are sometimes only hinted at but expertly portrayed to show a link between him and Patrick.

And finally, the game. It comes in so far into the story that explaining it would mean delving into a whole bunch of spoilers so I’m not going to do that. But it is worth mentioning because at times I just could not follow what was supposed to be happening on the computer screen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth or Dare.

10/17/2011 page 70
36.0% "Every time I sit down to read, someone calls and asks me to go out! Don't think fate wants me to be reading this book! Also, I've remembered what the "shocking twist" at the end is now."