MISS VAIN's Reviews > The Darkest Night

The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: gena-showaler
Recommended for: PNR lovers!!!!!!
Read from August 12 to 14, 2011

"Destroy.Hurt.Kill.Obliterate.
Kill.Hurt.Maim.
Kill.Kill.Kill.
KillHurtMaim.
Destroy, Destroy, Destroy, Kill."

Never has any man fictional or non fictional ever made those words sounds enticing, much less sensual but Gena Showalter has succeeded in making the inner dialgue of Maddox, the keeper of Violence a voice I want in my darkest erotic fantasies. ;)

Maddox as the Keeper of Violence has kept himself wrapped up in a tight guarded space to ensure the safety of others around and especially around women. He's haunted by the violent actions of his past when he failed to control his demon of violence inside his body.

Ashlyn comes to him in the Forrest and she's equally as enamored with him instantly as he is with her. She has suffered her entire life haunted by voices of past and present of those that have once occupied a particular space she dwells in.. She comes in search of the mysterious men known as The Lords Of The Underworld for their assistance in seeking silence.

"She was everything he had never known he needed, everything he could never live without. She had......tamed him.
What a treasure she was. He'd gone into the forest looking for a monster, but found salvation instead."

These tortured, curse inflictedDemon-Licious men have me mesmerized and eager to get to know all of them as I can now see why a huge majority of my GR friends have such devoted crushes on the tattooed warrior men. Showalter creates brilliant dialogue and scorchingly hotter sex scenes.

In The Darkest Night Showalter generously introduces us to these lustworthy men and listed below are the men that captured my interest in this book;
Meet Maddox, The Keeper of Violence, Torin, The Keeper of Disease, Lucien, The Keeper of Death,Reyes, The Keeper of Pain, Aeron, The Keeper of Wrath, and Paris The Keeper of Promiscuity. (that one hardly sounds like a curse, more like a man in his twenties). Other noteworthy characters I'm sure hope we haven't heard the last of is the spunky, powerful, rebellious, Anya daughter of a god, and the feisty, goodhearted, strong willed Danika.
I would highly recommend this series to PNR lovers alike. I plan to start the second book immediately and I anticipate getting lost in this sexily possessive world Gena Showalter has so brillantly created. I wish I could crawl in this dark fairy tale and live forever with a Lord of my own.;)

"You are mine, woman, and I am yours. Until you, my life was desolate, I existed, but I didn't truly Live. Now I live even in my death."

For those of us PNR lovers that have been living under a rock like myself, and have failed to hear about this fabulously intoxicating series The Lords of The Underworld then I highly suggest you crawl out from underneath it and experience these dangerously lustworthy men for yourself. An easy 5 stars!!!;)

"Right now I'm picturing you in a black leather suit with a sword at your side." Maddox said.

"When I wear it will I be fighting to protect my virtue, or fighting to take yours?"

"Mine, of course."

Thank you for the book recommendation Mrs. Vishous, and Becky!!!! :)
I tried to add both of your names to the recommend line, however you both have such long names I'm not sure they both fit in the small space correctly ;)
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Night.

Quotes MISS VAIN Liked

Gena Showalter
“You are mine, woman, and I am yours. Until you, my life was desolate. I existed, but I didn't truly live. Now I live, even in my death.”

Gena Showalter
“I don’t even know what to say.” Aeron.
“I do. Fuck.” Paris.”

Gena Showalter
“If I had bodily functions, I think I would have peed my pants.”
Gena Showalter, The Darkest Night

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: O.M.G.....Im so excited that ur reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!

MISS VAIN Lol! I knew you would be :) I'm reading one of your favorites and you're reading one of mine!!! I actually haven't had a chance to read further than page 1 LOL since I'm out running errands ;)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: I love Guardians of Ascension BTW!!!

Becky *HUGE SMILE ON MY FACE RIGHT NOW!* I'm so glad you're reading this.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Becky Cullen-Salvatore-Northman-Russell-Lord wrote: "*HUGE SMILE ON MY FACE RIGHT NOW!* I'm so glad you're reading this."

Me too Becky...Me too!!!

MISS VAIN Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "I love Guardians of Ascension BTW!!!"

Mrs. Vishous-I'm glad you love them, I knew you would. Those men scorchingly sexy!

I know these LoTU are sexylicious too. I'm already lusting after Maddox ;))))) Which LOTU is your favorite?!!

MISS VAIN Becky Cullen-Salvatore-Northman-Russell-Lord wrote: "*HUGE SMILE ON MY FACE RIGHT NOW!* I'm so glad you're reading this."

Becky-Ya I'm loving it already. I'm not very far in but Maddox is hottttttttt ;)
Which LOTU is your favorite??;)

message 8: by Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov (last edited Aug 12, 2011 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Ummmm...They all have attributes that I love! I cant pick one!
So top 5 in order will have to suffice:)

Aeron
Reyes
Gideon
Strider
Lucien

MISS VAIN So I take it Maddox the one I'm reading about is not in your favorites??:)

Becky Reyes ;)

Becky book 3

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: He was until I read the others!!

MISS VAIN Oh awesome!!! I can't wait to get to know these men more :) I really love tortured characters!
Becky-I'll remember you love Reyes, and Mrs. V, you're like me you'll take them all LOL ;)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Reyes is def in my top 5! All of em are hot though! Its difficult to choose one!

MISS VAIN Now that's the kind of series I love;where the men are all so super hot, you love them all ;)

Becky 2 of my other favs don't have their books yet.

MISS VAIN Becky-You must read Ascension. Im loving this book so far though :)

Becky Maybe I'll read it after this series. Oh and I've got to finish Sunshine too. Are there others out for the series or just this one?

MISS VAIN Sunshine??!
There's two and one free novella.
#1. Ascension
#2. Burning Skies
#3 this month Aug 30th

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Becky Cullen-Salvatore-Northman-Russell-Lord wrote: "2 of my other favs don't have their books yet."

Paris and Strider???

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Or Paris and William??

MISS VAIN Okay so I'm LOVING this book!!! I like all the men because I'm a bit fickle ;)))
I'm really curious how Showalter is going to to create Promiscuous Paris' book.....hmmmmm that will be excitingly interesting!

Also I wonder if she had Paris Hilton on her brain when she created a Promiscuous character named Paris?!? ;)

Becky Paris and William

Becky I had mixed feelings about William but his back story interests me. He's Gena Showalter's favorite.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Yes...Im interested in Williams story as well! (view spoiler) Sorry Miss Vain...I had to get that out!

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: MISS VAIN wrote: "Okay so I'm LOVING this book!!! I like all the men because I'm a bit fickle ;)))

Jus wait til you get further in the series! U will know why we're anticipating his book so much!!

Becky MIss Vishous... Also with William I'm curious (view spoiler)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: yeah!! That too!! I hope the sitch isnt hopeless as he thinks!

Becky Gena wouldn't do that to us. (view spoiler)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Yea u right about that! (view spoiler)

Becky (view spoiler)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (view spoiler)

MISS VAIN Mrs.V & Becky-
Oh you little brats have really done it now! ;) LOL
I've been at a baby shower all day and now I check my notifications to see I have tons of (view spoiler)

Becky Maybe if we make a million spoiler tags you'll get reading instead of goofing off in the real world... get back to LOTU!!!

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: BTW Miss Vain...Im going nuts with burning skies!!! Marcus is soooo yummy!

MISS VAIN You know what, even though today was so much fun....I couldn't wait to get home and get back to this book! LOL ;) I'm back now:)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Did you guys know that there is some new series coming out starting in September called The Royal House of Shadows and each book is written by a different author? Gena Showalter wrote the first book Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1) by Gena Showalter and then there are two by authors I haven't heard of that come out in Oct. and Nov. Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2) by Jill Monroe and Lord of the Wolfyn (Royal House of Shadows, #3) by Jessica Andersen. And then the fourth book comes out in Dec. and its by Nalini Singh Lord of the Abyss (Royal House of Shadows, #4) by Nalini Singh.

Becky Yep, I'm sure I'll read them... at least hers. I need to add it to my TBR list though.

Becky Oops, looks like I already did.

MISS VAIN You know what if they're not on my TBR it's only because of an oversight because I did hear about these through Nalini Singh's blog. Thanks for reminding me Goldilox!!!;) I'm going to check and see if I've added them now:)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: The Gena Showalter book is on my TBR!! Im impatiently waiting on that!

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* They are all on Netgalley! I've requested the first one so hopefully I can get it and then request the other three! You guys should go do that!

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: But I didnt know that ea one was by diff authors...thats cool as hell!!

MISS VAIN Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "BTW Miss Vain...Im going nuts with burning skies!!! Marcus is soooo yummy!"

Oh Mrs.V isn't he just so delicious?!!!! I thought Kerrick was hot but then I read Marcus' book and now I want a Marcus of my own!!! His sex scene get hotter and hotter as the book progresses. I had to fan myself ;)

***I think one of my status updates during this book was the famous words of Nelly "It's gettin hot in here" ! ;) ***

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: Yea its def hotter than kerricks story

Becky What's NetGalley?

MISS VAIN Oh ya I just checked and I have the first book already on my TBR list.

Becky-Okay so Netgalley.com is a website (I'm also a member there) that allows you to review books early and free. I have yet to review one because I have no idea how to navigate the website, and I keep forgetting to have my assistant look at it, so I'm Definitly the wrong one to ask :)

Becky Mrs. V- what series is that?

« previous 1 3