Christine's Reviews > Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!

Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman

Mar 26, 11

Read from March 24 to 25, 2011

This book represents everything that is wrong with society's view on weight loss and looks today. Everything you need to be skinny and nothing you need to be healthy. The tone and language (no-nonsense and vulgar) do not bother me. Their skinny=healthy attitude did.

Having been a vegetarian and vegan before (I've strayed off the path) this book, while full of good, common-sense ideas that any plant-based diet book will contain, possibly contributes to people making unhealthy choices to support being skinny instead of being healthy.

True, junk food is bad for you. But, vegan junk food is also bad for you. The fact that it is devoid of animal products does not make it healthy. For example, some of the "fake meat" and "fake cheese" products they recommend are full of sodium and indecipherable ingredients. So on one page they are telling you not to eat junk and then on the other page they tell you to eat junk, just not junk derived from animal products.

Also, there are very (VERY) graphic descriptions of animal killing and torture in this book. I happen to think that everyone should be made aware of the cruelty in the animal products industries no matter how upset or uncomfortable it makes them. But, I'm also sensitive to the fact that some don't want to face (or can't) so those that fall into that category would be advised to stay away.

Personally, I think most readers interested in a plant-based diet would be better off picking up a copy of the The Kind Diet. Silverstone gives most, if not all, of the same information but she does it in a loving way with full understanding that people have to accept it at their own pace.

Like all other diet books readers need to use common sense and make good decisions for themselves.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Bitch.