Amanda Pearl's Reviews > Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Oct 25, 14

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, bir-2011, favorites, glbt, theater-plays, own, signed-copy, own-hard-copy, yallfest2014
Read from April 17 to 21, 2011

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a ridiculously hilarious book about high school students trying to find themselves through, friendship, love, betrayal, and musical theater.

This book is told from the perspective of two different Will Graysons, each written by one of the authors, and gives an interesting reading experiences. The first Will Grayson is written by John Green and is a quite and introspective boy who is often overshadowed by the loud and super gay personality of his best friend Tiny Cooper. We'll call this Grayson BFF Grayson. The second Will Grayson is written by David Levithan and is dealing with being gay and in the closet and the feeling of loneliness that comes with that. I'll call this Grayson emo Grayson.

At the beginning of the book I found myself liking John Green's chapters more, but I soon figured out that it wasn't BFF Grayson that I liked, it was the humor found in Tiny Cooper who is a force to behold. More on him later. When it comes to the actual Graysons, I found myself relating a lot more to emo Grayson. I was a huge loner myself in high school, and I could really relate to feeling like no one understood him and that desperate search to find someone who could love you for just being you. Also some REALLY shitty stuff happens to him which I hated but thought was brilliant.

I love all of the crazy stuff that happens that brings the characters together. There's a lot of great humor and you can tell that the authors not only have similar writing styles, but have a strong friendship. All three of the main characters (BFF Grayson, emo Grayson, and Tiny Cooper) grow so much throughout the book. I really loved Tiny Cooper though. I really connected to him. At first I thought he was going to be a stereotypical gay sidekick character, but he is so much more than that. I think a lot of his personality comes from insecurity, and I love how both graysons help him learn to love himself and in the process, grow as people themselves. I also absolutely loved the ending. Tiny Dancer is everything I hoped it would be, and so much more. I actually teared up at the end which is something I was not expecting.

Overall Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a wonderful coming of age story about people learning to accept their friends for who they are and to love themselves. I highly recommend this book to any gay teen who is feeling lost or alienated and to all teens as a book about accepting those who are different.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

04/18/2011 page 34