Jenne's Reviews > Welcome to Bordertown

Welcome to Bordertown by Holly Black

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: short-stories, fairies, fantasy
Recommended for: Fans of urban fantasy
Read from June 06 to 19, 2011

I love reading anthologies of short stories, it is one of the best ways to find new authors and catch up with old ones. Welcome to Bordertown was no exception. I found I knew most of the authors and I enjoyed visiting with them - Holly Black, Terri Windling, Charles de Lint, Neil Gaiman, Cassandra Clare and Jane Yolen, just to name a few!

Although I have read a lot of anthologies, this was my first time experiencing Bordertown, where all the stories are connected by a place and where urban fantasy really started. Charles de Lint does something similar with his Newford books, but it is quite an experience to read stories by multiple different authors, with so many different styles and ideas all writing about the same place and some of the same people. You really feel like you have stepped into a diverse community of friends each with telling their own stories and adventures in turn, and by doing so you learn what life Bordertown is all about.

Bordertown is a magical place on the edge of the technological world and the realm of faery where neither the tech nor the magic works quite right. In this set of stories, the way to Bordertown has been lost for 13 years. Time that has passed in the world only 13 days in Bordertown, an unusually phenomenon creating some unique adventures when people finally find their way there again.

Bordertown has influenced so many of my favourite authors that I find myself wondering how I missed out on the original books began back in the 80s. (I blame the smallness of my local library!) I see elements that play huge roles in Neil Gaiman's Stardust, Patricia Briggs' and Ilona Andrews worlds played out here. I'm sure going to be looking out for the other Bordertown books new and old!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to Bordertown.