Ben's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince

Fables, Vol. 10 by Bill Willingham

Apr 04, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, graphic-novels
Read from March 21 to April 03, 2011

Although this is the first compilation of Fables comics that I've listed on Goodreads.com, I've read all of them to this point, and I have to say that I enjoyed this one as much as the best of the rest. A cracking compilation. For those who haven't discovered them yet, they're take the characters that we grew up hearing about in Fairy Tales and say what if they were real, and what if they had been forced out of the world they lived in by an evil dictator 'The Emperor' and forced to flee into our world, the Mundy world (muggle world if you're a Harry Potter fan). Here they live in 'disguise' pretending to be normal human beings except for those that are animals - these are hidden away on the farm. I love the way they take elements from those childhood tales and adapt them to fit the modern world, or twist them in new and surprising ways. I have also loved the way the characters and the plot lines have developed so far - in that respect these graphic novels have the feel of the best of modern TV series such as Heroes or Lost.

This edition covers the tale of Fly, the janitor or caretaker to the Mayor of the Fables as the fairy tale characters are called, revealing just who he really is (much to my delight as well considering some of my roleplaying favourites),and also touching on stories about Cinderella, Prince Charming and Aladdin.

If you haven't found these gems, do yourself a favour and hunt them down, find a place where you won't be disturbed and recite after me, 'Once upon a time...'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 10.

03/30/2011 page 185