Cornmaven's Reviews > A Time of Miracles

A Time of Miracles by Anne-Laure Bondoux

Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction-high-school, high-school, historical-fiction-middle-school, middle-school, ms-hs
Read from March 24 to 26, 2011

This reminded me a lot of The Boy With The Striped Pajamas, in terms of the narrator being this sort of naive boy living in a war torn world. The writing was perfect for a kid running from militia, not understanding the causes, not knowing all the history, and trying desperately to put some order into his world.

I was surprised by the revelation at the end, although I should have seen it coming. I thought it would be something a little different.

My only hesitation about recommending this novel would be that kids today really have no knowledge of the Soviet Union collapse, all the history of the Soviet Union, and all the history of the aftermath, even though it can be a most interesting historical topic to study. Therefore I don't think this novel will grab them like a WWII or Vietnam novel would, or even a novel about the Sudan. There's just not enough details in it to help flush it out for a young reader, and any TV exposure is long gone.

But the writing is wonderful, and then end is a most beautiful thing, with very thought provoking questions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Time of Miracles.