Brandon's Reviews > The Ethics of What We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter

The Ethics of What We Eat by Peter Singer

Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: societal-mechanics, owned-books, health-and-cooking
Read from March 23 to April 08, 2011

I've enjoyed reading this book. It truly opened my eyes to the cruel practices of the food industry along with the term "factory farming." The book has made me want to enforce the vegetarian practices I've began to maintain, especially during my Spring Break (I thought my parents would make meat-related products, but I've seemed to do excellently well in avoiding them.).

With this said, I do not believe that everyone who reads this book will immediately begin questioning where their food originates. However, I believe one will notice the vegetarians and vegans (and the freegans) out there and be potentially more open to the idea...for those who can be open-minded people. My Mom does a lot of the shopping of food in the house, and she truly is closed-minded. When the book said to not be fooled by "all-natural" or "fresh," it made me truly question my Mom's words of wisdom over the years. She believes that restaurants like Baja Fresh, Subway, etc. are "fresh," but where does the food come from? She has failed to do that, although shockingly enough, my Mom recently told me she does not buy food from Africa.

As a son, I've come to realize that my parents will respect my eating decisions, and will understand a change in taste buds. While I admire my Mom's cooking, I cannot admire her close-mindedness to how food is grown nor the environmental impacts it has. My family does not support environmentalism and I see this in many ways. My Mom and little brother will leave the lights on during the day for the enhancement of their vision while I support natural lighting, or my parents will put many lights too extra for the same purpose. I complain continuously that it's blinding and actually in a way a distraction from my work, but refuse to listen to me (I have one light in my bedroom that supports natural lighting. All the others are artifical other than the sunlight that pierces through my window.). For the reasons of her closed-mindedness, I choose to be well-informed over fall into the lies and other things that exist.

Besides from this though, I support the book's philosophical nature as it truly adds to the need to keep in mind the animals. The questions on morality it proposes truly makes one question human nature, and while I still say I do not know, I can say comfortably now that I know one thing of morality from this book. We have moral obligations, and one of the most definite I've seen is the protection of human nature, which right now is mostly not being done. I look forward to further research of the vegetarian and vegan diets. :)

Jeff, thank you for the honor of reading this book. If you don't mind, I want to keep it a bit longer for my last speech in Communications. I think it's time I try convincing some people of vegetarianism.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ethics of What We Eat.

03/23/2011 page 55