Amanda Pearl's Reviews > City of Bones

Mar 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, bir-2011, werewolves, vampires, glbt, paranormal
Read from November 03 to 06, 2011

City of Bones has some really awesome things going for it, and some not so awesome things as well. This review is going to be a little different because I'm going to make a pros and cons list. Because I feel like it. And I can do what I want.

Pros

The Setting - I almost always love books set in New York City. It's one of my most favorite places in the world, and I loved the whole paranormal underground club scene.
Snark and Sarcasm - I can be a pretty cynical beyotch when I want to be, so I found myself giggle-snorting at a lot of the one liners and quips that the characters toss at each other.
HOTHOTHOTHOT - Jace may be an a-hole, but he's a sexy a-hole.
Clary is a red head - She's a pretty good heroine. She deals with all of the bad stuff that happens to her and doesn't take shit. She's not afraid to stand up for herself and that is awesome.
Shadowhunter Mythology - I really enjoyed the overall mythology and I think there's a lot of cool stuff to develop in future books.

Cons

Repeating the same stuff over and over - There were just too many repeated jokes, references, and phrases for me to really enjoy the writing. I HATE it when the same adjective gets used twice on a page, and I kept noticing that happening (Brindle. All the time. Everyone and everything is brindle colored). It's called a thesaurus. Get one.
Every character is the same - All of the characters have the same sarcastic sense of humor and after a while they all blended together into one giant ball of snark.
Random plot tangents - There were a lot of sub-plots that didn't really support the main story arc. I would read a hundred pages and then go "why did we just do that?" They serve absolutely no purpose for the main story.
GROSS - I'm not going to spoil anything, but ew. People who've read it know what it is. One of the plot points takes a really icky turn that I just do not like to read about. I was not please that that's the way the story went.

Overall City of Bones has a lot of potential, but I think it was failed by its editors. I am excited to read the next book in the series because even though I was not in love with this book there were a lot of great moments. I'm hoping that as the series continues some of the technical kinks will be worked out so the awesome story idea can shine through.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

11/03/2011 page 100
21.0% 1 comment
11/05/2011 page 215
44.0% "it's getting really good! I just want Jace to get naked already lol"
11/06/2011 page 252