Amy Dreger's Reviews > Perfect Chemistry

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: chic-lit, edgy, realistic, romance, favorites
Read from March 23 to April 05, 2011

Why have I not read anything by Simone Elkeles before? I happened to stumble across an audiobook of Perfect Chemistry on my shelves in the Teen Section of the library where I work. It sounded interesting and I saw on Goodreads that it had received stellar reviews. Always a sucker for a good romance I dove in and couldn't get enough. I couldn't wait to get in my car every day to hear more from Alex and Brittany (BTW, excellent audio on this one - the narrators are great and really capture the essence of Alex and Brittany . . . right down to Alex's dreamy Latino accent).

This story is the perfect boy and girl from opposite sides of the tracks fall in love and have to overcome all of the obstacles that go along with it book. I think what I love most about this book is the way Elkeles flip-flops between characters so we really get into each of the main character's heads. Many times, the romance narration comes from the female's perspective but here I was able to see how Alex perceived the situation - big tough guy on the outside but swooning for the unattainable girl on the inside. I really cared about the characters and felt they were "real" unlike a lot of the fluffy stuff I have read lately with one dimensional characters. I loved Alex's complexity and Brittany's as well and think this book makes for good discussion about judging people from outside appearances without considering what might be going on on the inside.

Elkeles is a fabulous author and I felt like she was letting us take a peek in to Brittany and Alex's world. Reader beware, there are some steamy scenes in this book . . . probably best for ages 15 and up or so.

Loved it and couldn't wait to get my hands on the second installment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Chemistry.