janus's Reviews > The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without

liked it
bookshelves: cooking, started-but-never-finished
Recommended for: competent cooks
Read in November, 2007

** spoiler alert ** to tell the truth, i've only browsed through this book, but i see its purpose and i like it. as for the day, it was rainy and a good day to spend in a bookstore.

the font looks like handwritten script; it takes a little while to get used to it.

as for the recipes, most of them looked good like the southeastern asian style eggplant with chiles, red onion, and mint. i would make that without hesitation.

then there are a few odd ones, like bok choy, broccoli rabe, shittake mushrooms, and roasted garlic. i think this combination is excessive, and the addition of rabe is a bit confusing. bok choy, shittake, and garlic is fine: it is light and the flavors are subtle. rabe, from my experience, is a very robust taste, and still somewhat bitter even after parboiling.

another odd one is broccoli, apples, and red onion in honey mustard marinade. come to think of it, the combination would make a nice salad (even a warm one). as for a stir-fry, it sounds a little too sweet: honey mustard AND apple?

this cookbook suggests ideas. after all, a recipe is simply an idea for a meal; the directions are there for precision. some of the ideas are fine and others are questionable, fine. as for why i like this book,

it's made me think harder about cooking than usual. you see, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with an author, as long as you learn something out of the argument.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without.