Melissa's Reviews > Sweetblood

Sweetblood by Pete Hautman

Mar 23, 2011

bookshelves: 8th-grade
Read from March 23 to 28, 2011

Have you ever felt different, like no one understands you? That's how Lucy feels in the book Sweet Blood by Pete Hautman. Lucy is a sixteen year old girl suffering from diabetes. She has done a lot of research on diabetes and now believes that in the olden times "vampires" were really just people showing signs of diabetes. She writes a paper, explaining her theory, for a class and it gets her in trouble with her parents and school. Her parents begin to believe that maybe she is getting to weird and they seek help for her. Lucy think that "vampires" as i meantioned before people with diabetes but the thing is, she want to be one.
Here parents takes away every teens life, her computer. Now, so she is no longer able to get on a Transylvanian chat room where her name is "Sweet Blood". In the chat room she talks to many people who have an interest in vampires. One is a man named Draco who is a self proclaimed "real vampire".
At school Lucy becomes friends with a guy who takes her to a "Goth" party. Where she meets a man who shares her interests in vampires. He seems to know way too much about her, he seems to be the only one who understands her, and she begins to wonder if he may be a real vampire. Lucy continues coming to these parties and before she knows it her life is spiraling downwards and she can't control it. It almost ends in death.
I'm not much into the vampire and gothic culture but Sweet Blood is an amazing novel in its own way. At first I thought that this book was creppy and i would not read it again. But now thast i finnished my mind changed, I really enjoyed reading it. It was a easy book to read that I recommend to teens who may feel a little different from everyone around them and whom may feel like no one quite understands them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetblood.

03/23/2011 page 30
03/24/2011 page 60
23.0% "This book is starting to really creep me out. Especially the part when she meets the guy who is claimed to be a real "vampire"."
03/27/2011 page 200
78.0% "I guess this book is okay. I will finnish it, but i wouldnt read it again."
show 1 hidden update…