Mariel's Reviews > The Shining

The Shining by Stephen King

Mar 23, 11

Recommended to Mariel by: Johnny Carson
Recommended for: california dreamin'
Read in January, 1993

The Shining had some freaking great ideas. I love the idea of the power to see the paranormal as a light as mental powers, and that light shines in bright degrees. That was really good. The family story and the dad, Jack, and his downward spiral after the shame of letting down his family. I did get bored long before the end. That is the problem with Stephen King, as others have said. The man needed an editor. I experienced my Stephen King disappointment in my younger days (circa elementary/junior high). It's funny how these things work. If I were a David Bowie fan since the 1960s, and heard something like 'Never Let Me Down', I would have been devastated. (Young me did cry when that was the David Bowie album I got for a Christmas present. The only album I got. Ouch.) I would have been turned off of Bowie if it was the first album I ever heard. Because I got all of it at once (his output up into the '80s during my youth, I mean, rather than "all at one time"), and many years into my life of Bowie have passed, I don't really think about it that much when enjoying my other Bowie treasures. King is nowhere on the level of David Bowie in my heart. That said, I got over it. I'm impressed by the idea of the shining. I even use it to explain ways that stuff makes sense in the darkness of my mind. I wouldn't reread it. The scary part is living day in and out in a life with a family like that that you cannot escape. It's weird how some things get a "free pass", of sorts, and other things don't. Like, say you liked something as a kid and it sucks now. Sometimes the nostalgia carries over, sometimes it doesn't. I think King has the knack for being the sort where the nostalgia will carry over anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.