Debra's Reviews > Nightcry

Nightcry by Gregory M. Thompson

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: horror-supernatural, first-reads
I own a copy

Won this in a goodreads giveaway! Looking forward to checking it out!

The concept of this book was a great one. How does a person clear their name of murder, when the murder has supernatural implications?

In Nightcry, the protaganist, Grant Skyes, Grant's last name should have been of a recognizable Irish origin. He found only three web sites in his search. I tried it, not to dispute Grant's internet search ability, but to learn more about Banshees. I had 16,900,000 hits.

With that in mind, the author had the perfect opportunity to do some minor research and to introduce some tastily gruesome legends about Irish banshees. At the very least a definition could have been offered: an excerpt from Wikipedia- "she would sing the lament when a family member died, even if the person had died far away and news of their death had not yet come, so that the wailing of the banshee was the first warning the household had of the death."

Would have given more stars if Mr. Thompson had had a good editor. The use of present and past tense in the same sentence should have been corrected. It also seemed as if spell check was used and unrelated words were “dropped in” to correct spelling; inserting words that had no context in the sentence. These errors distracted from the story. I begin to think that English is not Thompson’s first language and therefore the translation is flawed. (He’s from Illinois?)

Gregory M. Thompson has a good imagination. I liked his story line. The antagonism between Grant and Bobby Hamilton is unrelenting. The in your face violence is not for shrinking violets. (view spoiler) I have to admit that I didn’t see the ending coming.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightcry.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gregory (new)

Gregory M. Just sent it out...you should have it soon! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Debra woohoo! I love a good horror book!

message 3: by Gregory (new)

Gregory M. Thanks for the review. I appreciate your words!