Barbara Rice's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Sep 06, 12

Read from March 23 to April 01, 2011

I'd picking this book up three or four times in a year, and then put it down again. It just didn't seem that interesting, but I learned you can't just thumb through it and see if it looks good: you have to start this book at the bgeinning and read straight through.

The part about her divorce was excruciatingly real: I'm unhappy. I don't want to be married any more. I just want OUT. And then of course the even-worse part: her partner will punish her for being unhappy. Apparently many people thought the author was shallow and should have just stuck it out in the marriage and produced the requisite babies...

...moving on... the Italy section was delectable and a seductive mistress. I just wanted to buy a ticket to Italy and damn the credit card bill.

When she got to India, her style and tone changed, and I thought that for the reader, this was the most difficult part to grasp and the least enjoyable part. But it's the part that has stuck with me the longest and is the most enticing. It made me want to get my own guru right now.

The last part - "love" - is also enticing though I really can't remember much about it.

The movie was a sad and diluted shadow of the book. Do not bother, even though the scenery was lovely.

Now that time has passed, I eventually have come to love this book. I fully understand her misery in the first part and the exquisite freedom afterwards. The second part, India, has come to mean something to me as my religious views evolve and I look for more depth and personal meaning. And the last part, falling in love, now means something more to me as I settle into a committed life with my husband.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.