Andy's Reviews > The Book of Flying

The Book of Flying by Keith  Miller

Mar 29, 08

Read in March, 2008

I didn't give "The Book of Flying" 5 stars even though I enjoyed reading it perhaps as much or more than anything else I have ever read. The book is pure joy.

But that's what the book is supposed to do. Keith Miller, an unknown author, uses his writing style to convey make the simplest things sound like the most romantic of poetry. Similes are used throughout the book, from the characters, from the narrator. For a fantasy book, the descriptions paint a vivid picture throughout the novel. The book is immensely enjoyable. It's fun, it's fantasy, it's childish, it's shocking, it's simple.

It's a tale of a journey to appease love. A classic fairy tale scene. On a linear path, the lead character, Pico meets many strange and beautiful creatures that effect his life and journey very much. However, it is what Pico leaves with the characters that is truly effecting. A powerful character, this Pico is.

It's a book you read wide-eyed, it's great for passing time, and transporting yourself. It reminds me of being a kid again, the joy I felt reading those fantastic books of youth (whether or not they were actually any good). And the focus on fine food, and the way in which Miller describes it would make even Anthony Bourdain salivate.

The reason why this book isn't 5 stars is because towards the end, I came upon the realization that this book is perhaps more about they way in which Miller writes than the actual story itself. I love descriptive writers, but I found quite a few instances where I found myself wondering if it was necessary, of if Miller was just showing off.

I recommend to almost anyone who wants a light read. It won't change your life, but it will provide a spark. It will make you smile, wish you lived in this land. It's a simple fantasy, for simple folk. And it's beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Flying.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new) - added it

Keith Miller Hi - This is Keith Miller, author of The Book of Flying, and fellow member of Goodreads. I just wanted to let you know that my new novel, The Book on Fire, is out. It's about a book thief who comes to Alexandria to steal from the fabled library, but falls in love with a librarian. It is available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Powell's, and other online bookstores.