Grace's Reviews > The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy

The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy by Maya Slater

May 17, 13

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read on March 23, 2011

EDIT: Right, so the editor's note is apparently part of the fictionality of this book. I was stupid enough not to catch that. *sigh* To anyone who read this review before I found that out, many apologies.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy.

message 1: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Grigolini I am sorry to break it to you, but the "enditor's note" is still part of the fiction of the book. The author pretends to simply be an "editor" of a recently discovered real diary rather than the writer of fiction. In reality, no such diary has ever been discovered (I assure you than if it had, it would have been highly publicized in the news) and there is no evidence whatsoever that the story of P&P was based on real events. In fact, I even find it mildly insulting that people keep searching for a real-life basis for this wonderful story, as if Miss Austen couldn't be capable of creating an original plot.

Grace Really? I had no idea the editor's note was fictional as well! Thank you for telling me.

Writers can be inspired by real life events. I was in no way trying to insinuate that Miss Austen couldn't come up with something original. :)

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Grigolini I am sorry my comment came out so nasty. I realized upon re-reading it that I sounded much harsher than I had meant. It's just that I finished reading this book last night, and it really stressed me out. I disliked it on so many levels and then the fake editor's note was really the last drop, because it was unnecessary and confusing (many other people thought it was real as well). But all that is certainly not your falt.

Grace Hey, it's fine, Silvia. Don't sweat it. :)